It's the end of August and that means that it's Back to School time! This month the Creative Cookie Exchange is sharing back to school cookies. Tomorrow is the first day of school for teachers in our county and then next week is the first day for the kids. This means it's the perfect time to share a cookie recipe for Back to School.
While I love making cookies it's so much easier to make cookie bars. This is especially true once I'm back to work and don't have a ton of time. You can turn many of your favorite cookie recipes into bar cookies simply by placing them in a baking dish and baking them for a longer period of time.
I took my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and made some adjustments to make salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars. The first thing I did was to find Salted Caramel baking chips. They are so good. Seriously, don't open up the bag and start snacking on them before making these cookie bars or else you won't have any left for the cookies!
So I took my favorite cookie recipe and I added in both chocolate chips and the salted caramel chips. I also used all brown sugar instead of half regular sugar and half brown sugar. Then I added in some baking powder to help give the cookie bars a bit of a rise. No one wants a flat cookie bar.
These Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars were super easy to make and I popped them in the oven and went on to do some other things. Once they were finished I took them and let them cool completely. Then I cut them into bars and put them in an air tight container until I was ready to use them.
I think cookie bars are a little more hearty then regular cookies and they stand up better in lunch boxes. I find cookies break apart while cookie bars are pretty solid. These ones were delicious. The cookie bars were a bit cake like but filled with flavors of chocolate and salted caramel. They were delicious and perfect for Back to School!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1½ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2¼ c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- ½ c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. salted caramel chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and salted caramel chips and mix gently.
- Spread the cookie mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cookie bars are golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into bars and serve.
This month we are making Back to School Cookies! Looking for an example to try? Keep reading!
- Chocolate-Dipped Sesame Nut Bars from All That's Left Are the Crumbs
- Crash-O-Cookies from Cream and Butter Baking
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Schoolroom Apple Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- The Nutty Professor Cookies from Our Good Life
- Triple Oatmeal Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.