That brings me to this past weekend. It's my dad's 60th birthday this month and we were having a surprise party for him last weekend. He had no idea we were planning it. I wanted to make him a special cake for this big occasion. He loves to go golfing so I thought about a golf cake but then I came across a picture of a golf cupcake cake. I needed a good vanilla cupcake recipe for the base and knew I saw one in Katie Workman's cookbook. Sure enough there was a recipe for simple vanilla cake with a variation for making cupcakes.
These cupcakes were simple to bake and I already had all of the ingredients on hand. The only change I made was to cut out some of the butter and add in applesauce in it's place to cut down on some of the fat. These cupcakes are super moist and buttery. They also hold up well to frosting.
For the frosting I made a simple buttercream and dyed 3/4 of it green and then divided the remaining 1/4 into two bowls. I dyed one blue and left the other white. To make the golf course I first placed the cupcakes where I wanted them on a cake board. Then I frosted the sand trap cupcakes with white and sprinkled them with crushed graham cracker crumbs. Next I did the putting green. It was a little more difficult because most of the pieces had half sprinkles and half jimmies on them. Then I finished up with the water hazard.
My dad absolutely loved the cake! He thought it was so creative to use cupcakes, that everyone could grab, and make a golf course out of them. I really like the way they turned out too and they tasted good as well.
Golf Course Cupcake Cake with Simple Vanilla Cupcakes (cupcakes recipe from The Mom 100 Cookbook by Katie Workman)
10 T. butter (1 stick + 2 tablespoons)
1/2 c. applesauce
3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 1/4 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 c. low fat milk
For the buttercream:
2 sticks butter, softened
3 c. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
2-3 T. low fat milk
2 sheets graham crackers, crushed
1/4 c. blue sprinkles
1/3 c. light green sprinkles
1/2 c. dark green jimmies
Tiny white mints
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer beat them together until light and fluffy. Add in the applesauce and mix until combined.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Add the milk and stir until almost incorporated. Mix in the remaining flour until just combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 of the way full.
7. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tins. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
9. Meanwhile place the softened butter for the frosting in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until the butter is fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and beat until well incorporated. The frosting will be stiff.
10. Mixing on low speed, add in the vanilla and then the milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it is the desired consistency.
11. Dye 3/4 of the frosting green. Dye half of the remaining frosting blue and leave the rest white.
12. Frost 18 cupcakes with the green frosting, 3 with white, and 3 with green. Top the white cupcakes with crushed graham cracker crumbs. Top the blue cupcakes with blue sprinkles. Using the picture as a guide, top the green cupcakes with green sprinkles and dark green jimmies.
13. Assemble the cupcake cake on a cake board. Use tiny white mints for gold balls and make a flag for the hole. Enjoy!
The Sunday Supper Group has enjoyed creating Katie’s recipes. We are honored to have Katie as our guest during our #SundaySupper live chat at 7:00 pm est. Join us and chat with Katie about being a mom, kids and Spending time Around the Family Table.
We will be giving away 3 copies of the Mom 100 Cookbooks. This is an event you don’t want to miss!!
Here are some favorites we will be sharing with you during #SundaySupper this week.
- Japanese Restaurant Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing Shockingly Delicious @shockinglydlish
- Spicy Ranch Bacon & Avocado Quesadilla Daily Dish Recipes @nicolehcook
- Turkey Meat Sauce The Meltaways @MrsMeltaway
- Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce GirliChef @girlichef
- Salsa Chicken Quesadilla with a homemade cilantro chimichurri Juanita’s Cocina @juanitascocina
- Individual Grilled Pizza Big Bears Wife @bigbearswife
- Beans and Cheese Quesadila with Tomato Salad Basic n Delicious @basicndelicious
- Grill Roasted Honey Ginger Chicken Are you Hungry? @redkathy
- One-Pot Arroz con Pollo – Cuban Style Comfy Cuisine @trish0605
- Sesame Noodles With Shrimp and Vegetables Magnolia Days @reneedobbs
- Fresh Mozzarella Pasta Casserole Twitter Doggie at The Dinner @doggieatdinner
- Arroz con Pollo Puerto Rican style Cooking by the seat of our pants @cbsop
- Rice Toppings of Garlic, Lemon, Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Summer Pineapple The Queen’s Notebook @mango_queen
- Pizza Quesadillas Meal Planning Magic @mealplanmom
- Sesame Noodles Cupcakes and Kale Chips @CupcakeKaleChip
- Lasagna Parcels with Turkey Meat Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite @wallet_appetite
- Grilled Garlic Lemon Rosemary Chicken Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again @shlylais
- Grilled Breakfast Pizza & Sauteed Corn & Spinach Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals @mommasmeals
- Pear, Goat cheese and Pancetta Grilled Pizza MamaMommyMom @mamamommymom
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach, Bacon and scallions! Mama’s Blissful Bites @mamapoolecooks
- Thai Style Sesame Glass Noodle My Trials in the Kitchen @seetfei
- Caramelized Onion & Flank Steak Quesadilla In The Kitchen with KP @InTheKitchenKP
- Teriyaki Skewers Real Best Recipe @realbestrecipe
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame Cilantro & Bacon Bits Sue’s Nutrition Buzz @ssunithi
- Pulled Pork with Papa Mike’s Cole Slaw In the Kitchen with Audrey @audreysmamma
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach Bacon and Scallions That Skinny Chick Can Bake @thatskinnychick
- Arroz con Pollo Portuguese Style Family Foodie @familyfoodie
- Fudgy One Pot Brownies Mrs. Mama Hen @MrsMamaHen
- Simple Vanilla Cupcakes Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks @HezziD
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares Chocolate Moosey @chocolatemoosey
- Butterscotch-Bacon Apple cookies What Smells So Good? @jo_jo_ba
We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! #SundaySupper starts every week at 3:00pm EST by showcasing fabulous recipes. Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.
This post linked to:
Think Pink Sundays, Sundae Scoop Sundays, Crazy Sweet Tuesdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Totally Tasty Tuesdays,