After my last batch of quick breads I couldn't wait to make more. The quick breads were perfect for our breakfast in the summer. I just put a mini loaf in the refrigerator before we went to bed and we had fresh sweet bread for the next two days as breakfast. It was a delicious, light breakfast and I didn't even have to turn on the oven!
I've been on a bit of a lemon poppy seed kick lately so that was going to be one of my flavors. For the other flavor I searched my cupboards and came up with dried cranberries and oats. The lemon poppy seed bread was very lightly flavored with lemon. I ended up putting a simple lemon glaze on top of it to bring up the lemon flavor. The cranberry oat bread was perfect. It was sturdy, was tart from the cranberries, and the oats added a wonderful texture.
Quick Bread (recipe adapted from Allrecipes)
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. salt
12 T. butter, melted
For the lemon poppy seed bread:
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. lemon zest
2 t. poppy seed
1/4 t. vanilla
For the cranberry oat bread:
1/3 c. dried cranberries
1/3 c. quick oats
1/3 c. milk
1/2 t. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini loaf or regular sized loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine the melted butter and the eggs.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until a
dry dough forms. Divide the dough in half (or into 4 if you want more
flavors-variations above are for the half the dough).
5. Add the lemon poppy seed bread ingredients to half the dough and
mix well. Add the cranberry oat bread ingredients to the other half of
the dough and mix well.
6. Pour the bread into 16 mini loaf pans or 4 regular sized loaf
pans. Cook the mini loaves for 20-25 minutes or the regular loaves for
45-50 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf
comes out clean it is cooked.
7. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
This post linked to:
Frugal Food Thursdays, it's A Keeper Thursdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Sweet Tooth Fridays,