I can't believe it's already the end of September. That means it's time to start thinking about Christmas and homemade gifts! I'm excited to be a part of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic. Every Thursday from now until Christmas we'll be sharing homemade treats that are perfect for holiday parties.
Cherry Amaretto Jam (slightly adapted from Ball's Blue Book Guide to Preserving)
2 (16 oz) bags frozen sweet cherries, thawed and drained
6 T. classic pectin
3/4 c. amaretto liqeur
3 T. lemon juice
4 1/2 c. sugar
1. Prepare your canner and 7 half pint jars.
2. Finely chop the cherries.
3. Combine the cherries, pectin, amaretto, and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
4. Add the sugar and stir well until it has dissolved. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
5. Skim the foam from the jam and ladle the hot jam into the hot jars leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Remove any air bubble from the jars and readjust the headspace.
6. Put on the 2 piece lid and screw to finger tip tight. Heat in a boiling water canner for 10
minutes with the lid on. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
Remove from the water and let cool for 12 hours then check to make sure
the lids have sealed. Store for up to 1 year.
**Makes 7 half pints**