Saturday, November 10, 2012
Cookie Candy Pizza and Monster Pops!
This past month we had a Halloween party. The kids were super excited and couldn't wait to see what we were making. I looked through my cooking magazines and on Pinterest to find some kid friendly Halloween recipes. I ended up making cookie candy pizza and monster pops!
The kids loved the monster pops. They were super easy to make and my students actually had a great time making them "talk" to each other before them gobbled them up. The cookie candy pizza was fun to make as well because it really went with the theme. The kids thought it was awesome that it was a sweet pizza with Halloween candy on top. I had fun making them and even more fun watching the kids eat them!
Cookie Candy Pizza (adapted from Taste of Home magazine)
1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough (I used Pillsbury)
1/2 c. candy corn
1/2 c. Autumn mix candy corn
12 gummy worms
1 c. M&M's candy
2 c. chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Press the sugar cookie dough into the bottom of a 12 inch round pan (I used a springform pan). Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until it is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
3. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, checking every 30 seconds until they are melted.
4. Quickly spread the melted chocolate on top of the cooled cookie crust.
5. Top the cookie pizza with the candies, working quickly so the chocolate does not harden.
6. Refrigerate until the chocolate has set. Cut into wedges.
Monster Pops (adapted from Multiples and More)
24 large marshmallows
24 lollipop sticks
Candy melts in assorted colors
Black candy melts
1. Melt a small amount of any color chocolate in the microwave. Check on it every 30 seconds until it is completely melted.
2. Dip a lollipop stick in the chocolate and then place it in the middle of a marshmallow. Repeat with remaining marshmallows. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
3. Pour the sprinkles into a shallow dish.
4. Working with one color of candy melts at a time, melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted. Holding the marshmallow by the stick, dip it halfway into the colored chocolate. Immediately stick the top of the marshmallow into the sprinkles to make the "hair". Add on candy eyes then set on waxed paper to harden. Repeat with remaining colors.
5. Melt the black candy melts in the microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Spoon the melted chocolate into a zip top baggie. Snip off the end of the baggie and pipe on monster faces. Allow the chocolate to harden.