I love this time of year. The sun is shining, it’s hot outside, but the nights are still cool. While I still like getting in the kitchen, I don’t like turning on the oven. Most of our cooking happens on the grill or on the stove top. This is fine for cooking, but when it comes to desserts, most of what I make is baked in the oven.
I was recently turned on to Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. Davidson’s Eggs are pasteurized, which eliminates the risk of Salmonella, so they can be used raw which is perfect for dessert recipes. While I was thinking about desserts I was sweating, which caused me to think about beverages. I started thinking about Strawberry Margaritas and then how I could change that into a dessert!
Lucky for me I had everything I needed to make Strawberry Margarita Parfaits. The good news is that these can be made with or without the alcohol so they can be made for children to enjoy as well as adults. The strawberry layer is a decadent mousse while the lime layer is a rich lime curd. I also made homemade whipped cream because let’s face it, homemade is so much better then the store bought stuff. The cookie layer is made from shortbread cookies. You can make them yourself or use store bought. I just used the store bought ones and they were awesome.
To make a parfait you need clear glasses which is always an issue for me. Our casual glasses are not clear and the fancy glasses are Waterford Crystal so I’m not putting parfaits in them! I finally settled on martini glasses which I think is a fun way to serve these. Any clear glass will work. The parfaits turned out amazing. The mousse was creamy and delicious and the curd was sweet yet tart. The whipped cream lightened up the whole dessert while the cookies added a crunch. This is a great summer time dessert that is pretty enough to serve at a dinner party and fun enough to serve at a BBQ.
- ⅔ c. sugar
- 1 T. lime zest
- ¼ c. fresh lime juice
- 3 T. butter
- 2 egg yolks (preferably Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs)
- 1 whole Davidson's Safest Choice Egg
- 1 T. tequila (optional)
- ½ lb. strawberries, tops cut off and quartered
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 2 Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs (divided into yolks and whites)
- 1 T. triple sec (optional)
- 1 T. sugar
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ¾ c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 c. crushed shortbread cookies
- To make the lime curd combine the sugar and lime zest in a medium bowl. Mix well to combine and set aside
- Measure out the lime juice and cut the butter into pieces.
- Heat water in the bottom pan of a double boiler. Bring to a gentle boil.
- In the top of the double boiler whisk together the egg yolks and whole egg. Slowly whisk in the sugar and zest, mixing until smooth. Mix in the lime juice. Add the butter pieces in one at a time.
- Continue stirring gently but continuously with a whisk to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom. Cook until the lime curd reaches 170 degrees. It took mine about 10 minutes to reach this temperature.
- Remove from heat, stir in the tequila, and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the strawberry mousse by pureeing the strawberries in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and egg yolks to the pan. Whisk until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, whisking occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Add the triple sec and then pour into a bowl and refrigerate until cool (about 20 minutes).
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites and sugar with a hand mixer until peaks form. Add to the cooled strawberry mixture. Gently mix until combined.
- In a cold bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mousse. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the whipped cream for the parfaits, beat the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar in a chilled bowl until still peaks form. Set aside.
- Place the shortbread cookies in a food processor and process until smooth.
- To make the parfaits place 1-2 tablespoons of cookies in the bottom of each glass. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of strawberry mousse on top. Add a thin layer of whipped cream on top of the mousse and then sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of crushed cookies on top. Layer with 2-3 tablespoons of the lime curd.
- Finish the parfaits by placing the remaining whipped cream in a zip top baggie. Snip off the end and pipe a portion of the whipped cream into the center of each parfait. Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.
- Serve chilled.
Do you have a summer no bake recipe? Do you want to enter it in a contest? Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs is sponsoring a no bake summer recipe contest for the Food & Wine Conference coming up in July! First prize is $500, a ticket to the Food & Wine Conference, a year’s supply of eggs, and other great prizes.