In just 3 short days we will be celebrating the worst holiday of the year. The holiday that gives every elementary school teacher nightmares. That’s right, I’m talking about April Fool’s Day. It’s even worse when you teach elementary special education. Do you know how many times a kid will tell me there is a dinosaur/vampire/monster/etc. behind me? Approximately 928376464 times throughout the day. I will also be told 263464646 times that my shoes are untied and 152637 times that there is a spider on my head. It’s torture I tell you!
To celebrate April Fool’s Day Sunday Supper is sharing our April Fool’s Food. Now this is something I can get behind. I love making things that look like one thing but taste like another. I searched high and low this year and narrowed it down to 5 ideas but in the end I fell in love with these Bacon and Eggs Cupcakes.
The cupcakes are actually a vanilla based cupcake made with bacon and maple syrup. Perfect for breakfast, right? Then it’s topped off with either vanilla bean buttercream or cream cheese frosting. A few poppy-seeds are dropped on top to look like pepper and a butterscotch candy becomes the egg yolk. The cool thing is that if you leave the butterscotch candy in the cupcakes over night it actually starts dripping and makes the cupcake look like a dippy egg! So cool.
My husband was skeptical about the bacon flavored cupcakes even though he lives for bacon. I was not so shy about it. I took a big ole bite of the cupcake and was loving it. It’s sweet, it’s salty, and it tastes slightly of maple. The buttercream frosting on top pairs wonderfully with it. This is the kind of cupcake I love to eat. Sweet, but not too sweet, with some added flavor. Totally delicious.
So if you are looking for something fun to serve for breakfast on Wednesday, take a chance and try these Bacon and Egg Cupcakes….the kids will love them and so will you.
- 1¼ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ⅔ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- ¼ c. milk
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 c. butter (2 sticks) softened
- 3-4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2-3 T. milk
- 2 T. poppyseeds
- 12 butterscotch candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and mix well. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix until completely combined. Add in the remaining flour and mix until combined.
- Stir in the maple syrup and mix well. Fold in the bacon.
- Pour the batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them ⅔ of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting beat the butter until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar a half cup at a time until desired consistency is reached. Stir in the vanilla and milk and mix until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes by placing a spoonful of frosting on each one and smoothing it out.
- Sprinkle poppyseeds on top of the frosting and place an unwrapped butterscotch candy in the center.
Cupcake and frosting recipes are Hezzi-D Original Recipes
- Pina Colada Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beer Jelly by Brunch with Joy
- Berry Smoothie Incognito by Lifestyle Food Aristry
- Mashed Potato Sundaes by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Roasted Broccoli Dip by Cooking Chat
- Honey Nut Baked Brie Bloomin’ Apple by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Sides & Snacks
- Shepherd’s Trifle by The Joyful Foodie
- Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Meatloaf “Cupcakes” with Mashed Potato “Frosting” by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- April Fools’ Strawberry Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo & Peas by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Pad Thai with Zoodles by Nosh My Way
- Middle Eastern Roast Chicken with Green Harissa by The Texan New Yorker
- Beef Avocado and Tomato Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Fake-out Sliders and Fries by The Redhead Baker
- Pot Luck Chili Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Fool by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon and “Egg” Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Poutine by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Cauliflower Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Fudgy Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fruit Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Mud Pies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Joker Cakes by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement