Who doesn’t love pizza? For years I made pizza using pre-made dough or crust because it was just easier and I thought it was pretty good. Then a few years ago I finally tried making my own dough. It was amazing and I haven’t looked back since!
That doesn’t mean that I’m not still on the look out for new pizza dough recipes because every dough I’ve made is different and tastes better for a certain type of pizza. When I received King Arthur Flour’s Perfect Pizza Blend flour I couldn’t wait to use it to make pizza. The blend contains King Arthur Flour’s custom blend of durum and all-purpose flours with a touch of dough conditioner and baking powder.
I found a recipe on their site that made 2 pizza crusts and sounded simple. The thing I love about this recipe is it can be put in the refrigerator for 4 hours or 24 hours so it’s easy to make the dough a day in advance. I ended up changing just a few things like using dry active yeast instead of instant because that’s what I had in the pantry and adding my own seasonings but the crust still came out wonderful.
This recipe makes a fabulous medium crust pizza that is full of flavor on its own. It gets golden brown on the edges and is able to hold a mound of toppings. I’m so glad it made two crusts because I know we’ll be having pizza again this week!
Easy Pizza Crust (adapted from King Arthur Flour)
3 c. King Arthur Flour Perfect Pizza Blend
1 packet dry active yeast
1 1/4 c. warm water (110 degrees)
1 t. salt
2 T. olive oil
1 t. Italian seasonings
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. parsley
1. In a small bowl combine the yeast and warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix until just combined. Turn out onto a table dusted with flour and knead for 5-7 minutes.
3. Roll the dough into a ball and place in a large greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
4. After the 45 minutes place the dough in the refrigerator for 4 hours up to 24 hours. The dough will continue to rise so make sure the bowl is large enough.
5. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide in half. Pick up one piece and gently stretch it into an oval. Stretch it out so that it fits into a 12 inch pizza pan.
6. Cover the 12 inch dough circle and allow it to rest while preheating the oven to 450 degrees.
7. Place the pizza on a parchment circle in a pizza pan and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and top with sauce, cheese, and choice of toppings. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the crust is brown and the cheese is bubbling.
8. Serve immediately.
**To freeze: After baking the crust for 6 minutes remove from oven and cool completely. Wrap in plastic and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw crust before baking according to the above directions.