A few weeks ago I was craving sweets badly. I hadn’t baked in a couple of weeks and I really wanted something made from scratch. I wasn’t in the mood to stand over the oven and make cookies so I started looking for cakes. I grabbed a few cookbooks and got searching.
I came across a recipe for a chocolate chip snack cake. It’s a yellow cake with chocolate chips in it topped with vanilla frosting. It looked easy to make and I had all of the ingredients so I set out to make it. I made the actual cake without any difficulties.
The cake came out as a cross between a cake and a cookie. It was easy to pick up with my hands and eat which is why I guess it is called a snack cake. Are you wondering why this is called a Killer Chocolate Chip Snack Cake? Well that’s because of the frosting.
When I went to make the frosting I dumped the butter and powdered sugar in a bowl and turned on my mixer. The powdered sugar flew up in the air and somehow went down my throat. I started choking. I must have gagged, sputtered, and choked for a good 10 minutes. I was home alone and feared I was a goner. It was really scary! Since it caused me so many problems I decided to give it the killer nickname.
Once the dust settled (literally) I was able to frost the cake. I let it set up for an hour before trying it. This cake is simply delicious. A basic chocolate chip cake with vanilla frosting. I had the sweetness I was looking for in addition to both chocolate and vanilla. What more can you ask for?
- 1⅓ c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. baking powder
- 2 sticks butter
- ½ c. applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. pecans, chopped
- ½ c. chocolate chips
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 t. vanilla
- ½ t. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 in square baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with a mixer until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make the frosting put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over top of the cake. Allow to sit for 1 hour before cutting into squares.