Meyer lemons are here and I can’t get enough of them! I’ve been buying them by the bagful and I love using them in my baking because they are sweeter then traditional lemons. I also think they are really tasty squeezed into my iced tea.
I like adding lemon to my cakes because it really brightens them up. I recently saw my friend Cindy made a Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake using homemade Meyer Lemon curd and I immediately saved the recipe because it sounded so amazing. After a quick peek in the refrigerator and pantry I realized I had everything I needed to make this coffee cake so I got started right away!
I whipped up the homemade Meyer Lemon curd first because it needs to set before using. I did this in the morning so I could make the coffee cake in the afternoon. I love lemon curd and the Meyer Lemon curd was a little bit sweeter but still tart and tasty.
Once I had the curd chilled I made the coffee cake. It’s a basic coffee cake recipe but I added in some Meyer lemon zest and fresh Meyer Lemon juice to the cake. The flavor was subtle but still noticeable. I placed the lemon curd in between two layers of coffee cake and then put them crumble on top.
This coffee cake is amazing! The coffee cake is sweet and moist then the layer of Meyer Lemon Curd adds a tart flavor to the mix. The crumble topping adds crunch and flavor. This is pretty much the perfect breakfast to go with a cup of hot coffee or tea. I can’t wait to make it again!
- ½ c. fresh squeezed Meyer Lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 T. butter
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¼ c. coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 3 T. Meyer Lemon juice
- 1½ c. flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 t. Meyer Lemon zest
- ½ c. milk
- ½ c. flour
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 3 T. butter
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. nutmeg
- To make the lemon curd whisk together the Meyer lemon juice and sugar in a medium saucepan. Add in the egg and egg yolk and mix well.
- Place the saucepan over medium low heat and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the butter.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, and removing from heat every minute to stir for 15 seconds off the heat, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and chill at least 1 hour.
- To make them crumble mix together all of the ingredients with your fingers until a crumble forms.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray.
- To make the coffee cake cream together the coconut oil and sugar. Add in the egg and mix well. Stir in the Meyer Lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, powder, salt, and Meyer Lemon zest.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir well. Add in the milk and mix until combined. Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix well.
- Spread half the coffee cake mixture into the prepared pan. Dot the mixture with the Meyer Lemon curd. Spread the remaining coffee cake on top of the lemon curd. Sprinkle with the crumble.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.