This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Out of all the things I made for Brunch Week I’m most excited to share these Galaxy Donuts with you. I’m not sure if it’s because they just look super cool or if it’s because my son is into outer space or if it’s because the sprinkles are super fun. Whatever the reason is I’m so glad it’s Friday and I can finally share them with you!
The donut is simply a baked vanilla donut. I like making baked donuts better than fried because it’s a lot less messy and it’s a lot better for you. Plus, I honestly like baked donuts better. They have a cake texture and aren’t nearly as greasy as a fried donut.
But what really makes these donuts is the glaze and the sprinkles. The glaze is just a simple powdered sugar glaze made with Dixie Crystals powdered sugar. You then divide it into five bowls and dye one deep blue, one bright pink, one purple, one black, and leave one white. Then you swirl them all together and dip the donuts into the glaze.
The glaze looks like the galaxy with all of those colors swirled together. To make it look even more like a galaxy I used Sweets & Treats Outer Space Sprinkle Mix on top! These sprinkles combine silver jimmies, black sugar pearls, purple sugar crystals, blue nonpareils and silver star quins for an intergalactic treat.
The donuts turned out amazing. They have a vanilla cake flavor but are surprisingly light. The glaze is sweet and adds the perfect amount of color and crunch from the sprinkles. These would be fun to serve at a brunch for kids, an outer space themed party, or just as a pop of color at a brunch for adults.
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 4 T. butter, melted
- ½ c. Dixie Crystals sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1½ c. Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- 3 T. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- purple, pink, blue, and black gel food coloring
- Sweets & Treats Outer Space sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter and sugar. Mix well. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it starts to combine. Add the milk and mix until smooth.
- Put the donut mixture in a zip top baggie and cut off the end. Pipe the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for two minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Divide the glaze into five bowls. Dye one bright pink, one purple, one dark blue, one black, and leave one white.
- Place teaspoons of the different colored glazes on a flat dish in a random pattern. Use a butter knife and swirl the colors together.
- Dip the presentation side of the donut into the glaze and slide it upwards. Sprinkle with the outer space sprinkles and place back on the wire rack to allow the excess glaze to drip off.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Maple Bacon Old Fashioned from The Spiffy Cookie
Pimm’s Iced Tea from Books n’ Cooks
Sparkling Strawberry Peach Punch from For the Love of Food
Spicy Bloody Mary from Sweet Beginnings
Starbucks Copycat Chai Tea Latte from Snacks and Sips
Strawberry St Germain Gin and Tonic from Caroline’s Cooking
Triple Orange Julius from The Crumby Kitchen
Watermelon Fizz Cocktail from Who Needs A Cape?
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Berry Baked Oatmeal from Kate’s Recipe Box
Galaxy Donuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Vegan Mango Peach Toaster Pastries from The Baking Fairy
Waffle Casserole with Maple Sausage from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Bacon and Cheese Loaded Hashbrown Waffles from Big Bear’s Wife
Brunch Cake from April Golightly
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from PasstheSushi
Lavender Mimosa Cupcakes from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
Peachy Keen Buttercream from Cooking With Carlee
Raspberry Lemon Cake from The Redhead Baker
Salted Caramel Blondie Trifles from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza from Hardly A Goddess
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.