I decided to try the chicken tortellini soup. It has a chicken broth base but then adds in some vegetables and the tortellini to make it substantial. I was shocked by how easy and fast this soup in to make, and how wonderful it is! It’s the perfect soup to make when you aren’t feeling well because it’s hearty but easy to make.
Chicken Tortellini Soup (Mrs. Fichter's recipe-my neighbor)
½ pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. Italian seasonings
6 c. chicken broth
2 c. water
1 pound package of fresh or frozen tortellini
1 (10 oz) package fresh or frozen spinach
1 (16 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 t. pepper
1. In a skillet heat the olive oil.
2. Cut the chicken tenders into 1/2 inch pieces and add to skillet. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you cannot see anymore pink on the outside of the chicken pieces. Remove from heat.
3. In a large stockpot melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until browned and crunchy.
4. Add Italian seasonings, chicken broth and water to the stockpot and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and tortellini then reduce heat.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Slowly add the spinach and tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 more minutes. Sprinkle with pepper.
6. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.