The green bean casserole is cheesy and tasty. I enjoyed the creamy cheese sauce and the combination of breadcrumbs, fried onions, and cheese on top. It's a great alternative to the original casserole and perfect for any cheese lover.
Cheddar Green Bean Casserole (adapted from Life and Kitchen)
For the topping:
2 slices of bread, crusts removed, torn into quarters
1 T. butter, softened
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
3/4 c. canned fried onions
1/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
For the beans and sauce:
1 lb. frozen green beans, thawed in the refrigerator
1 T. butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. black pepper
1 T. flour
3/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. fat free half and half
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Pulse the bread, butter, salt, and pepper in a food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs. Place the crumbs in a large bowl and mix with fried onions and cheese; set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 pan with cooking spray.
3. In a large sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add in the garlic and pepper. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute.
4. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add in the half and half and the cheddar cheese. Mix well.
5. Add the green beans to the sauce and stir until coated. Spread in the 9 x 9 baking dish. Sprinkle with the topping and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges.This post linked to:
Meatless Mondays, Mangia Mondays, Bulletin Board,Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show,