This week #SundaySupper is about All Things Orange. I don’t think there’s a better time of year to make orange colored foods then October. Halloween is quickly approaching and the cool fall air has been inspiring me to make quite a few pumpkin baked goods.
Every month I have a behavioral reward party for my students at school. Each month has it’s own theme and this month’s theme was fall foods. Since I had the party and the special All Things Orange event I knew I was going to be baking up an orange pumpkin dessert for the kids. I knew the kids wouldn’t be into a regular pumpkin bread or cake but I thought they might enjoy pumpkin if it was chocolate dipped.
It turned out I was right! I made pumpkin cake truffles dipped in chocolate and the kids loved them. The hard chocolate outside covers a silky smooth pumpkin interior. The adults enjoyed this treat as well. They aren’t hard to make but they were time consuming because of dipping each pumpkin ball into the chocolate and then drizzling a complimentary colored chocolate on top. These would be great at a Halloween party or even for Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin Cake Truffles (adapted from Made in Mel’s Kitchen)
For the cake:
1 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. sugar
1 stick butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 c. pumpkin puree
For the truffles:
1 c. vanilla frosting
1 c. orange chocolate melts
1 c. milk chocolate melt
1/2 c. butterscotch chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 cake pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
3. In a large bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Mix well. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Fold in the pumpkin puree.
6. Once the cake has cooled crumble it into a bowl. Stir in the icing and mix until a ball begins to form.
7. Shape the cake mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, melt the milk chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until it is just melted. Remove the cake balls from the freezer and dip them into the chocolate one at a time. Tap the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate and set on waxed paper to harden. Dip half of the cake balls in the milk chocolate.
9. Melt the orange chocolate in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals until it is just melted. Repeat the above step with the remaining cake balls.
10. Once the chocolate has harden melt the butterscotch chips and place in a zip top baggie. Cut off the edge and drizzle the butterscotch over half the orange cake balls and half the milk chocolate cake balls. Repeat with the orange chocolate, drizzling over top of the remaining milk chocolate cake balls and then drizzling the remaining milk chocolate over top of the remaining orange chocolate cake balls.
11. Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days. If the chocolate seems to be getting soft refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving.
Sunrise (Breakfast and Brunch)
Paula from Vintage Kitchen Notes is bringing her Orange Ricotta Pancakes
Erin from Dinners Dishes and Desserts is baking up some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Heather from Girlichef is bringing Pumpkin Doughnuts with Spiced Buttermilk Glaze
Nicole from Daily Dish Recipes is making Pumpkin Donut Puffs
Patti from Comfy Cuisine is bringing Classic Orange Marmalade
Sunithi from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz is making Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Muffins with Craisins and Walnuts
Wendy from The Weekend Gourmet is cooking up some Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal
Jamie from Mama Mommy Mom is bringing Butternut Squash Butter
Chelsea from Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence is bringing Pumpkin Spiced Donuts with Chai Icing
High Noon (Soups, Salads and Sandwiches)
Renee from Magnolia Days is serving up some Butternut Squash Soup
Beate from Galactopdx is bringing her Carrot Ginger Soup
Jen from Juanita’s Cocina is making some Curried Sweet Potato Salad With Cranberries and Pecans
Megan from I Run For Wine is making Skinny Roasted Butternut Squash and Italian Sausage Soup
Sarah from What Smells So Good is filling our bowls with some Spicy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
Alice from Hip Foodie Mom is coming with her Roasted Carrot and Red Quinoa Salad
Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian is making Cider – Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
Tora from Tora’s Real Food is bringing Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup
Melanie from From Fast Food to Fresh Food is making Monty’s Pumpkin Soup
Lyn from The Lovely Pantry is bringing Roasted Pumpkin & Coconut Soup
Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic is whipping up some Mandarin Chicken Salad
Sunset (Dinner and Main Dishes)
Sarah from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends is offering up some Pumpkin Ravioli
Shelia from Pippis In The Kitchen Again is serving her Roasted Squash and Ricotta with Honey
Pam from The Meltaways is making Spooky Stuffed Peppers
Patsy from Famfriendsfood is bringing her Carrot Souffle
Laura from Small Wallet Big Appetite is bringing Chicken and Sweet Potato Fritters
Mehereen from Chattering Kitchen is making Sichuan Orange Glazed Chicken with Toasted Sesame Seeds
Tammi from Momma’s Meals is making Hearty Pork Stew
Kristin from Kwistin’s Favorites is making Orange Chicken
Soni from Soni’s Food For Thought is cooking up some Rigatoni with Pumpkin Ricotta Sauce
Shelby from Diabetic Foodie is cooking up some Moroccan Vegetable Stew
Dara from Generation Y Foodie is bringing Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Brandie from Home Cooking Memories is sharing a DIY Baked Sweet Potato Bar
Amber from Mama’s Blissful Bites is bringing Rice and Fig Stuffed Mini Pumpkins
By The Bonfire (Sweets, Snacks and Sips)
Carla from Chocolate Moosey is making Pumpkin Tiramisu with Pumpkin Butter Caramel Sauce
Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks is offering up some Pumpkin Cake Truffles
Shelia from Cooking Underwriter is bringing Sweet Potato Bacon Beet Salsa
Anne from Webicurean is making some Drunken Pumpkin Bread
Karen from In The Kitchen With KP is making Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips
Leslie La Cocina De Leslie is making Sweet Potato Atole
Seet Fei from My Trials in The Kitchen is bringing Sweet Potatoes Mini Balls
Tara from Noshing With The Nolands is bringing Oranges En Suprise
Susan from The Girl in The Red Kitchen is making Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scone with Pumpkin Glaze
Conni from Mrs. Mama Hen is making Orange Glazed Poundcake
Isabel from Family Foodie is baking up Moist Pumpkin Bread
Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings is baking up a Vegan Pumpkin Orange Cake
Brenda from Meal Planning Magic is whipping up some Creamy Pumpkin Dip
Laura from Family Spice is making some Unprocessed and Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
Kathya from Basic and Delicious is baking up Butternut Squash and Carrot Bread
Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake is serving up Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
Stephanie from The Cookie A Day Challenge is whipping up some Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwiches
Katie from She Like Ruffles, He Likes Truffles is bringing Pumpkin Harvest Cookies
Nancy from Gotta Get Baked is baking up some Orange Macadamia Dark Chocolate Cookies
Angie from Big Bear’s Wife is bringing Orange Soda Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes
Katy from Happy Baking Days is bringing Carrot Cake with Orange Glaze
Sandra from Midlife Road Trip is bringing Orange ya glad it’s fall! Hungarian Apricot/Walnut pastries