Thursday, October 25, 2012
My parents provided all of the food for the party so I told them I would bring all of the desserts. I already knew I wanted to bring an apple dessert and a pumpkin dessert. I figured I better bring a chocolate dessert as well. I've been dying to make S'mores brownies ever since I saw a picture of them and figured this would be a great place to bring them.
Making these brownies seemed easy enough. They are a basic brownie topped with marshmallows then sprinkled with graham crackers and Hershey bars. When I put the brownies in the oven to broil I left them in for the required 30 seconds. When I opened the oven I was in for a surprise-the entire pan of brownies was engulfed in flames! I panicked for a few seconds and then slipped on my oven mitts and pulled the pan out. Lucky for me the flames died as soon as the brownies were out of the oven.
Using quick thinking I scraped the burned to a crisp marshmallows off the top, put new marshmallows on top, and then put them back in the oven. This time I broiled them on the bottom shelf. That seemed to work and the marshmallows turned golden brown. When I pulled them out I sprinkled the graham crackers and then topped them with Hershey bars. They ended up looking beautiful and tasting amazing. I still can't believe I was able to safe them from the flames! These were a big hit at the party and the kids especially loved them.
I'm also sharing these for our fifth week of The 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic because they were super delicious and disappeared quickly. Definitely a great way to bring S'mores inside during the cold winter months.
S'mores Brownies (brownies adapted from Hershey, S'mores brownies adapted from Prevention RD)
1 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. applesauce
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2 c. mini marshmallows
4 graham crackers, broken into pieces
2 Hershey's Bars, broken into pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
3. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add in the applesauce and mix well. Add in the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
4. Stir half the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix well. Add in the cocoa powder and stir. Mix in the remaining flour mixture and stir until well incorporated.
5. Pour the brownies into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the marshmallows. Sprinkle the graham crackers over top of the marshmallows. Turn the oven to broil.
7. Broil the brownies at least 6 inches from the heat source for 30 seconds, watching carefully so they do not catch on fire!
8. When the marshmallows are golden brown remove from the oven and top with the Hershey bar pieces. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
This post linked to:
Thursday Treasures, Tasty Thursday, Fantastic Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Tastetastic Thursday, Seasonal Inspiration, Strut Your Stuff,