Here it is the middle of February and it's been a cold one! Last week we got a lot of snow and it was so cold I didn't want to eat anything that wasn't piping hot. I needed to choose a recipe from my assignment for this month's Secret Recipe Club and I was hoping for something warm and comforting.
The blog I was assigned to this month is On The Move-In the Galley which has a ton of wonderful recipes. I really wanted to try the Wonton Lasagna Cupcakes, Butter Brushed Soft Pretzels, and the Pork Spring Rolls, but I stuck to what I originally wanted to make a found a delicious soup.
I made the Triple Pork Chili Colorado except I turned it into Double Pork Chili. It was perfect for the snowy night when we had it for dinner. The beans, pork, and corn make it hearty enough to eat as a main course. It was a little spicy, filled with delicious vegetables, and finished off with pork chops and chorizo sausage.
Double Pork Chili Colorado (adapted from On The Move-In the Galley)
1/2 lb. Mexican chorizo
2 boneless pork chops, chopped in small chunks
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 t. oregano
1 T. cumin
1 T. chopped cilantro
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. black pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 T. tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can red beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can Fiesta corn
2 c. beef stock
1 T. lime juice
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
1 c. Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 c. sour cream
1. In a heavy bottomed pot saute the chorizo and boneless pork chops for 5-6 minutes or until the are browned.
2. Add the onion, garlic, green chilies, oregano, cumin, cilantro, chili powder, and black pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, corn, and beef stock. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
4. A few minutes before serving add in the lime juice. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cilantro, Jack cheese, and sour cream.
This post linked to:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Trick or Treat Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays,