Do you ever have a night where you want something filling but you don’t want to cook? More and more these days I’m so exhausted by the time I get home I don’t want feel look cooking. I’ve made crock-pot meals, I’ve done fast pasta meals, and I’ve even made some hot sandwiches.
This time I wanted a salad which was perfect because this weeks #SundaySupper theme is Picnic food! I was looking through Pinterest when I saw a picture of this amazing Italian chopped salad. The colors are what really caught my attention. The bright greens, reds, and pops of black looked incredible. Then I saw that it was made with a Parmesan vinaigrette. I was sold immediately.
When I set it down in front of my husband he said it looked amazing. The pepperoni, chickpeas, and cheese make it hearty enough to eat with some crusty bread for a complete dinner. It’s also a beautiful (and healthier!) dish to take to a summer picnic. The Parmesan vinaigrette was out of this world! Slightly sour from the vinegar, slightly sweet from the honey, and burst with Parmesan flavor it paired perfectly with the chopped salad.
Italian Chopped Salad (adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice)
For the salad:
6 c. Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 c. red onion, chopped
3/4 c. artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 c. plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. black olives, sliced
1 c. chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 c. pepperoni, chopped
3/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
2 t. Italian seasoning
For the dressing:
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. In a large bowl toss all the salad ingredients together.
3. Pour half of the dressing over top of the salad and toss. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
Need more picnic ideas? Check out what the other #SundaySupper members are sharing this week:
A big, open field, a gingham blanket and a basket of delicious treats – what better way is there to spend a Summer’s day than by having a picnic? This weekend, #SundaySupper is holding one giant, virtual picnic, and that means there will be recipes for some creative and inspired picnic food.
I’m delighted to be hosting my first #SundaySupper event, so fingers crossed that the rain holds off and we can all share our picnic treats!
For those of you who are new to #SundaySupper, it is a mission founded by the truly inspirational Isabel of FamilyFoodie which aims to get people back around the family table to share meals, time and fun together. There is now a huge online #SundaySupper family, and we get together each week to share each recipes, based around a different theme.
This week, we’re swapping the table for a blanket on the grass, and I get to give you a sneak preview of what everyone will be bringing.
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Don’t forget to join in the chat on Twitter; we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.