I’ve been craving chocolate chip cookies hard core lately. It usually seems to happen after dinner. We eat, we sit on the couch, and I really want a cookie. Now I don’t want a store bought cookie as they just aren’t very good. I want one of my homemade chocolate chip cookies.
So what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s been too hot to turn on the oven to make chocolate chip cookies. I haven’t wanted to go into the kitchen and make them so I’ve been settling for ice cream or some other sweet treat that we have around the house.
I started looking for chocolate chip recipes that didn’t have to be baked in the hopes of curbing my craving. When I hit on a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Candy Bars I was in! They looked so amazing and in addition to the cookie dough they use either homemade or store bought cookies for the top plus tons of chocolate! What’s not to like?
Now I know I said that part of the reason I wasn’t baking cookies was because it was too hot. Well for this recipe I needed less than 1 dozen baked cookies so I did end up making a small batch to put on top because I really don’t like store bought cookies. Plus I had my eye on the end goal and the oven was only on for about 20 minutes.
To make the bars I just poured melted chocolate into the bottom of a pan and then covered it with homemade cookie dough. The cookie dough was egg-free and you can use heat treated flour if you are worried about that. Then I just poured more melted chocolate over top of the chocolate chip cookie dough and then sprinkled the homemade cookie pieces over the top! It looked so good that I could hardly wait to try it.
I put it in the refrigerator for a solid hour to make sure the chocolate was completely firm then I cut it into pieces. WARNING: Cut into very small squares. This dessert is super rich but it is incredible. It’s like biting into a chocolate bar stuffed with chocolate chip cookie dough! Then there are the chocolate chip cookie pieces on top. I ended up storing these in the refrigerator and eating one or two squares per day for an entire week. This may be one of my favorite desserts ever! Don’t take my word for it, give it a try yourself!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1¼ c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1-2 T. milk
- ½ c. chocolate chips
- 3 c. chocolate (I used chocolate melts but you can use any type of chocolate)
- 8 chocolate chip cookies (I used homemade)
- 100 grams (approximately 6 or 7) store bought chocolate chip cookies
- In a large bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla. Mix well. Add in the flour and salt and mix well.
- Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until a nice dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 second intervals, stirring after each heating, until completely melted.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pour half of the chocolate mixture into the bottom of the pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Grab a handful of cookie dough and flatten it out in your hands and then place it in the pan on top of the chocolate. Do this until all of the chocolate is covered.
- Pour the remaining chocolate on top of the cookie dough and spread until smooth.
- Quickly break the cookies into pieces and press into the top of the melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove and cut into 25 squares.
- Store in a container in the refrigerator for 5 days. (You can store them at room temperature but they become very soft.