This time of year is filled with baking. I feel like I begin baking the day after Thanksgiving and I don’t stop until Christmas Eve! It’s just that there are so many holiday parties, activities, and friends to give treats too. Not to mention that I want to make as many new goodies as possible.
I couldn’t wait to get started baking as soon as I received my Holiday Flavor Bundle from Nielsen-Massey. I tried to think of a recipe that would use all three of the flavors but I was stumped. I did manage to come up with these Vanilla Cupcakes with Peppermint Swirl Frosting which uses two of the tasty flavors. It’s really a delicious cupcake perfect for the holidays.
The cupcakes are fluffy, tender, and have a great vanilla flavor from the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla. This isn’t your average vanilla. It packs a ton of flavor that really shines through in these cupcakes. Sometimes I feel like I have to use so much vanilla extract in a recipe in order to taste it but I didn’t have that problem with this vanilla.
After the cupcakes cooled I made a peppermint buttercream frosting with the peppermint extract. A little bit of this extract goes a long way so add a tiny bit at a time until you have the perfect flavor. I then split the frosting in half, dyed on portion red and left the other portion white, and piped a beautiful Peppermint Swirl Frosting on top of the cupcakes.
Then, because I can’t leave anything alone, I topped my cupcakes with sparkling sanding sugar and a few festive sprinkles. They looked so pretty I almost didn’t want to eat them! When I did take a bite they were pure Christmas. The vanilla cupcake was subtle until the bold peppermint frosting. I can’t wait to take these to my next holiday party!
- 1½ c. flour
- 1½ t. baking powder
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ t. nutmeg
- ½ c. milk
- 12 T. butter, softened
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. Nielsen-Massey Pure Peppermint Extract
- 1 T. milk
- red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- in a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, and nutmeg and mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add in the milk and stir until just combined.
- Mix in the remaining flour until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way full with the batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting put the butter in a bowl and mix on high speed with a mixer until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar, a half cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Mix in the peppermint extract and milk.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. Color one of the bowls red.
- Place the white frosting in one piping bag and the red frosting in another piping bag. Snip off the ends of each and place both inside a larger piping bag fitted with a tip.
- Pipe a swirl frosting on each cupcake. Top with sprinkles if desired.
I received a Holiday Flavor Bundle from Nielsen-Massey but all opinions are 100% my own.