This post is sponsored by Barleans but all opinions are 100% my own.
We buy a lot of bananas at our house. My 21 month old will eat an entire banana at breakfast. In fact, some days he will even sneak up on me while I’m making breakfast and snatch pieces of banana while I’m not looking. Even though he really loves them at times we still have bananas that start going bad too quickly.
I often make banana bread or banana muffins whenever we have bananas starting to go bad. It’s a great way to use them up plus it’s something we can eat for breakfast or a snack. I have several different recipes on my blog for both banana bread and banana muffins. So why am I creating another one? This one is a little different.
For starters this recipe has a lot less sugar then the other recipes. It also uses coconut oil instead of butter. All around this recipe for Banana Bread Muffins is healthier then most of my other recipes. These Muffins are also topped with Chocolate CBD Glaze. Don’t know much about CBD? I didn’t either until a few months ago.
CBD comes from the hemp plant. It is currently a popular natural remedy for a variety of medical problems. Studies have shown that it can help relieve chronic pain, it can help with depression and anxiety, and it may help reduce acne. I’ve been hearing about it more and more in the news so when Barlean’s often to send me some to try I took them up on it!
I ended up using it to make a glaze for my Banana Bread Muffins. It cannot be heated higher than 225 degrees so I thought it would be best to put it in something that isn’t cooked at all. I made the muffins using Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut oil (but you can use regular coconut oil), brown sugar, bananas, milk, flour, and oats. This recipe has less sugar than most and the addition of the oats.
The resulting banana muffins are lightly sweetened and full of banana flavor. I then made a Chocolate CBD Glaze for the top. I used powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter, and Barlean’s Extra Strength Ideal CBD Hemp Oil. It simply added a touch of mint flavor so the glaze was actually a mint chocolate glaze. It tasted great on top of the banana muffins.
So if you are looking for a delightful breakfast muffin give these a try! If you aren’t a fan of chocolate glaze on your bread simply skip the cocoa powder and make a buttercream glaze instead.
- ⅓ c. Barlean's Butter Flavored coconut oil, melted
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. mashed bananas (about 2 large)
- 1¾ c. flour
- ⅓ c. oats
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- ⅓ c. milk
- 4 T. butter
- 1 t. Barlean's Extra Strength CBD Hemp Oil
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut oil and brown sugar and mix well. Add in the eggs and mix until combined.
- Stir in the vanilla and bananas. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir in the milk and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups filling ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze mix together the butter and CBD oil. Stir in the cocoa powder until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar a half cup at a time, stirring after each addition, until desired consistency is reach.
- Spread the glaze on top of each muffin.
Want to try CBD oil for yourself? One of my readers will win a bottle of Barleans Seriously Delicious CBD or Ideal CBD Hemp Oil Extra Strength! Winner must be a resident of the United States and be 18 years of age or older. All you have to do is leave me a comment and let me know if you would take the CBD hemp oil on its own or would you make something with it? Giveaway ends June 6, 2019 at 11:59pm. Winner will be contacted via e-mail and will have 48 hours to respond in order to claim their prize. The prize will be sent directly from Barleans. Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks is not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize.