As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
While most days I enjoy a simple piece of toast or a cup of yogurt for breakfast I have to say I’m a sucker for coffee cake. My school used to serve coffee cake once every other week and man did I look forward to that day. I would grab a piping hot cup of coffee and get in line with my students to get a piece. Of course since I’m a teacher I always got a very large slice.
Now they don’t serve coffee cake at school any more so I have to make it at home for myself. I don’t do it very often because while it’s one of my favorites I will totally eat the whole thing in just a few days! I’ll eat it for breakfast and at night after dinner as a snack. But every now and then I do make it for myself as a treat.
Since fall is here I wanted to add a little taste of the season to my coffee cake so I made this amazing Apple Coffee Cake! I used honey crisp apples that my friend got at the orchard and added in cinnamon and nutmeg for that warm fall flavor. I think adding fruit to coffee cake is always a good idea. My other favorites are blueberry or peach coffee cake.
For this coffee you the actual cake is a lot smaller than the apple crumble layer. I layered both of the layers twice and it baked up into a moist and delicious coffee cake that smelled and tasted amazing! Plus since it is fall I actually had a slice with a pumpkin spice latte and it was fall overload.
I like that this coffee cake has a nice crisp crumb on top but the apples are soft and add a ton of flavor. The crumble is buttery and full of spices. The cake is crumbly and holds up well to the apple crumble layer. You definitely need to put this on your fall baking list!
Apple Coffee Cake
For the apple crumb:
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 honey crisp apples chopped
For the coffee cake:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Cut the butter into tablespoons and cut into the dry ingredients. A crumble will form.
- Add in the vanilla and apples and mix together. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter combine the butter and sugar.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix well until combined.
- Spread half of the cake batter in the bottom of your pan. Sprinkle half of the apple crumble on top.
- Gently spread or drop by tablespoons the remaining batter on top of the crumble. Sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Cut and serve.
Fall Apple Recipes
- Apple Cider Old Fashion by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Apple Coffee Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple-Stuffed Delicata Squash by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Pork Chops and Apples by That Recipe
- Easy Apple Buns by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Glazed Apple Pie Bars by Art of Natural Living
- Pork and Apple Kebabs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Apple Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories