Every brunch needs sweet and savory dishes. While I have a lot of fun mixing up my sweet dishes I almost always make quiche as one of my savory dishes. It's a dish that's easy to make, you can add just about any ingredient to it, and people seem to love it.
Whenever I make a quiche I go through my refrigerator and pick out vegetables that I think will work together. Then I find a cheese that will pair well with the vegetables. The last thing I do is add in a meat. I usually go with sausage or bacon but sometimes I add in ham. It just depends on what other ingredients are in the quiche.
This Asparagus, Sausage, and Onion Quiche was easy to put together but had a lot of delicious flavor. I used Michigan Asparagus, Cal-Organic Onions, and garlic. I paired the vegetables with Cabot Alpine Cheddar Cheese. Then I added in mild Italian sausage. I mixed all the ingredients together with Eggland's Best eggs.
I usually end up adding a lot of spices to my quiche but in this case I didn't think it needed much. I added in a little bit of salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano and called it a day. The quiche baked up brown and beautiful and it smelled so good.
The flavors in this quiche were just perfect together. The asparagus and onions worked well with the creamy, nutty Alpine cheddar cheese. The mild Italian sausage added just a touch of spice and a ton of flavor. We enjoyed this quiche for dinner one night and then had it again for brunch the next morning. It's a delicious savory dish that works for any meal.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- ½ lb. mild Italian sausage
- ½ onion, chopped (I used Cal-Organic Farms)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 spears of asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces (I used Michigan Asparagus)
- 5 eggs (I used Eggland's best)
- ½ c. milk
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. paprika
- 4 oz. Cabot Alpine cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the pie crust dough in a pie pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the sausage over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the sausage begins to brown.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sausage and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the asparagus and cook for 3-4 additional minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, pepper, salt, oregano, and paprika. Mix well to combine. Add in the cheese and mix.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the egg mixture and mix to combine. Pour into the pie crust dough. Top with additional shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown and the top of the quiche has browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Voodoo Bloody Mary from Girl Carnivore
Antipasto Platter from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Brunch Gazpacho Shooters with Cheesy Everything Toast Dippers from The Crumby Kitchen
How to Create an Antipasto Platter from Love and Confections
Kale Salad with Apples, Carrots, Cheese and Capers from Shockingly Delicious
Spring Cobb Salad from The Barbee Housewife
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Asparagus, Mushroom and Cheese Egg Cups from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Asparagus, Sausage, and Onion Quiche from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Breakfast Stuffed Avocados from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Cheesy Ham and Asparagus Frittata from Cooking with Carlee
Ham & Cheese Hashbrown Frittata from It Bakes Me Happy
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Banana Blueberry Cinnamon Mini Muffins from Sweet Beginnings
Cheddar Sun-Dried Tomato Biscuits from Tara's Multicultural Table
Coconut Doughnuts from Mildly Meandering
Grand Marnier French Toast from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sausage, Egg & Cheese Kolaches from The Spiffy Cookie
Shortcut Blueberry Cheesecake Cinnamon Rolls from Big Bear's Wife
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart from Karen's Kitchen Stories
Breakfast Salad from Caroline's Cooking
Green Apple Smoothie from The PinterTest Kitchen
Asparagus-Leek Velouté from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Roasted Asparagus & Carrots from Amy's Cooking Adventures
Sweet Potato Hash with Pancetta, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach from The Redhead Baker
Hazelnut Pudding Cake from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Pull Apart Cinnamon Coffeecake with Chocolate Glaze from Family Around the Table
Pumpkin Snack Cake from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Raspberry Lime Parfaits from Eat Move Make