You probably know that we get a weekly CSA in the summer. I love going each week to pick up our share and find out what is in our bag. At the beginning of the season we usually get a lot of lettuce and greens. After that we get a lot of herbs, squash, and other early summer vegetables.
Lately we’ve been getting bags of peas with every share. I’m sure I’ve said it before but I’m not a fan of peas. I’ve never really liked peas but maybe that’s because I was mostly given canned peas when I was younger. I hated them. I would only eat them if they were in soup.
Recently I’ve been eating peas if they are in a pasta dish or in some other entrée. Since we’ve been getting so many peas I’ve been looking for different ways to cook them as a side dish. This has been a challenge since I am not all that fond of peas.
The first recipe I tried that was a success was Peas and Bacon. Let’s be honest, if you cook anything in bacon it’s going to be delicious AND Bacon is this weeks Sunday Supper Theme! Plus, in addition to the bacon, it has French fried onions in it. This is pretty much the best dish you can make for someone who doesn’t like peas because there are a lot of other flavors going on in it.
My first bite of this wasn’t bad. In fact it was actually quite good. The peas still have a bit of a snap to them. The bacon is crispy and adds a saltiness to the peas. Then the fried onions add a nice crunch. I liked it enough to have a second helping! My husband, who likes peas, really liked this version. So if you have kids or a spouse that doesn’t really like peas, make sure to make this dish for them!
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. snow peas
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ c. French fried onions.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Leave the bacon grease in the pan and add the snow peas and garlic. Sauté them over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until they are cooked but still slightly crisp.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then toss with the French fried onions.
- Serve hot.
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board