I'm sure I've talked about my feelings on donuts. I'm not a huge donut fan. I just don't think they are worth the calories. Occasionally I go to a gourmet place that has really fun and fancy donuts and I'm sold on those but that is a rarity. I'm usually the girl passing by the donuts to look for something else.
The only exception to this rule is with baked donuts. I make a lot of baked donuts at home. They are much healthier then fried donuts and I think they have a much better flavor. I've made a lot of different flavors and tend to make them on holidays as a treat for my donut loving husband.
Last weekend I was in the mood for something sweet in the morning and we didn't have anything that I wanted. After debating on what to make I thought I'd make some donuts. I didn't want anything crazy so I just went with a basic vanilla donut with a donut glaze. The fun part came in with the sprinkles. I had these neon sprinkles that added a lot of color to the donuts.
The dough for these donuts is just a basic cake dough. There's vanilla extract in it but I think next time I'd put a bit of vanilla bean in it as well. In order to bake these you will need a donut pan. The first time I looked at my donut pan I thought, "Is this it?" It looks really small but trust me, the donut size is just right once they are cooked.
Once these donuts were baked I put them on a rack to cool while I made the vanilla glaze. I dipped the donuts into the glaze and placed them on a wire rack. I let them drip for a minute and then dipped them into the colorful sprinkles and set them on the wire rack again.
These donuts are awesome. They have a light vanilla flavor from the donuts and the glaze. The sprinkles brighten them up and add a bit of texture. Kids would love to help make these and then help eat these. They are great for breakfast or even snack time.
For the donuts:
- 1 ⅓ c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ c. sugar
- ¼ c. milk
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 1 egg
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Colorful sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Pray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, milk, sour cream, and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in the butter and vanilla and mix well.
- Put the batter into a zip top baggie and cut off the end. Pipe the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 2 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine the milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and set back on the wire rack for 1 minute.
- Take the donuts and dip into a plateful of the sprinkles and place back on the wire rack to allow excess to drip off.
Recipe adapted from Deliciously Sprinkled