It's summertime and that means grilling! I've been on a kick where I try to grill at least 4 or 5 meals a week and by saying I grill the meal I really mean I prepare the ingredients while my husband grills the meal. However, that is not the case with these amazing tacos. My husband was out of town so I actually fired up the grill myself.
Before firing up the grill I needed to get my topping ingredients in order. While I am not a fan of cole slaw I love it on top of BBQ pork or burgers. So I whipped up a quick cole slaw using fresh cabbage and carrots. You can whip up your own slaw or purchase your favorite slaw from the market.
Then I grabbed the all new Sabra Veggie Fusions Guacamole. Have you seen these yet? They come in 3 delicious flavors: garden vegetable, Southwestern, and mango lime. I saw them at my local Martin's last week and picked up a few because they were on sale! We love guacamole and this guacamole is even better because it is packed with 7 different varieties of fresh vegetables. I paired my BBQ Pork Tacos with Sabra's Mango Lime Veggie Fusions Guacamole to give it a little bit of sweetness with the smokiness of the BBQ and the creaminess of the slaw.
Wondering what the 7 veggies are in the Mango Lime Guacamole? This guac is filled with Hass Avocado, Mango, Yellow Carrot, Onion, Jalapeño Pepper, and Red Bell Pepper. Hungry yet? Plus all 3 flavors have 30% less fat than regular guacamole. Need one more reason to try this guacamole deliciousness? It's vegan, kosher, and gluten free so it's great for those eating a special diet. Plus you can get a $1.00 off coupon now!
But back to my tacos. I started by rubbing my pork chops with a barbecue dry rub. I tossed them on the grill and cooked for them for about 5 minutes before slathering them in BBQ sauce and allowing them to cook completely. I love when BBQ sauce is cooked onto the meat. It's so good.
All I had to do then was assemble the tacos. I sliced the pork thin and put it in a hard taco shell along with cheese, slaw, and guacamole. I topped it off with a slice of lime to bring out the Mango Lime Guacamole flavors and I was finished.
These tacos were amazing! I hate to admit it but I ate 3 of them myself and had thoughts of making a 4th one but managed to restrain myself. The tender BBQ pork paired with melted cheese, creamy slaw, and a veggie packed guacamole all in a crunchy hard taco shell is near perfection in a summertime taco. My husband thought so too when I made him a few leftover tacos the next day.
- 1 lb. boneless pork chops (about 4)
- 2 T. barbecue dry rub
- ¼ c. BBQ sauce
- ⅓ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 c. cole slaw
- ¾ c. Sabra Veggie Fusion Guacamole
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- 8 hard taco shells
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- Rub the pork chops with the barbecue dry rub. Add the pork chops to the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the pork over and cook for an addition 3 minutes.
- Baste the pork chops with the BBQ sauce and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Flip the pork over one more time, baste the pork chops again, and cook until the pork comes to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the pork from the grill and allow to rest for 3 minutes. Slice the pork into thin strips.
- Layer the pork in a hard taco shell and top with 1-2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons of cole slaw, 1-2 tablespoons of guacamole, and put a wedge of lime on top. Repeat with remaining taco shells.
This post was sponsored by Sabra as part of the Sabra Tastemakers Program. All opinions, photographs, and writing is 100% my own.