As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
- ground beef
- green pepper
- garlic cloves
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- tomato paste
- beef broth
- diced tomatoes with green chilies
- corn chips like Fritos
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
To make this chili pie recipe you begin by browning the ground beef in a large skillet. After draining off the fat you’ll add the onion, green pepper, and garlic and saute them until they have softened.
Then all the spices get added in and combined with the beef and vegetables. Next, add in the tomato paste, beef broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer until it thickens up.
To serve place the corn chips in the bottom of a bowl. Scoop the chili on top of the chips. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place a dollop of sour cream on top.
We really enjoyed this meal. It was easy to make, didn’t have a ton of ingredients, and was a little different from the traditional chili we have. Plus, the corn chips add a bit of salt and crunch which goes perfectly with this cold weather dish.
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- You can add in any additional spices. Sometimes I like adding in Arizona Dreaming seasoning from Penzey’s. Make it to your taste or you can simply add a packet of chili seasoning.
- Feel free to add in additional vegetables. More bell peppers, jalapenos, or even black beans would work. You can put in anything you would put in your normal chili.
- While corn chips are the best with this recipe you can use tortilla chips if that’s what you have.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 c. beef broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 4 oz. corn chips
- 1/3 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. light sour cream
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain off the fat and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the onion and green pepper to the pan and saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste, beef broth, 1/3 cup water, and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Place 1 oz. corn chips in each bowl. Top with the chili, 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese, and 1 tablespoon of sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 535Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 1542mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 40g