As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Chocolate Root Beer Float Cupcakes are rich chocolate cupcakes brushed with a root beer glaze then topped with a vanilla and root beer frosting with a cherry on top.
Did you know that today is National Chocolate Cupcake Day? While I’m not a huge chocolate cupcake fan I am a fan of cupcakes and of foodie holidays so I knew I needed to make a decadent chocolate cupcake for this holiday.
I looked through tons of recipes and found classic chocolate cupcakes, s’mores cupcakes, chocolate chip cupcakes, and chocolate strawberry cupcakes. While those all sounded great I wanted something a little more unique. In fact I already have at least one of each of those cupcakes already on my blog so I needed something different.
I found a recipe for Chocolate Root Beer Float Cupcakes and was pretty intrigued. The original recipe called for a chocolate root beer cupcake, a root beer filling, and a vanilla frosting. I switched it up a little bit by using a root beer syrup to soak the cupcakes instead of a filling and made a vanilla root beer frosting.
The cupcakes are super light and airy thanks to the amount of root beer used in the cupcakes. The root beer syrup added flavor and weight to the cupcake. Then the fluffy frosting just tied everything in together.
For decoration I decided to add a cherry on top because of the root beer float theme as well as adding a pop of color to the finished cupcake. I cut a paper straw into thirds and stuck it in the side of these cupcakes so it looked like they were ready to drink. These were really fun to make and the flavor was delicious.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- You can certainly add root beer flavoring to the cupcakes, glaze, and frosting. I didn’t have any on hand and I thought the real root beer flavor was enough.
- These cupcakes are super light. To give them a little more weight you can cut the root beer in the cupcakes in half and add in a half cup of milk in place of it.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 c. root beer (NOT diet)
For the glaze:
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoon root beer
For the frosting:
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons root beer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 8 paper straws, cut into thirds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add in the eggs and mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour. cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add in the root beer and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 22-24 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make the glaze combine the powdered sugar and root beer in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of the glaze on top of each cupcakes and spread around until it soaks into the cupcakes.
- To make the frosting place the butter in a large bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, root beer, and salt, and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Top with a cherry and a third of a paper straw if desired.
Recipe adapted from Baked In
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 2g
Chocolate Cupcake Day
- Chocolate Blackberry Merlot Cupcakes by Sweet Beginnings
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Raspberry Stout Cupcakes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gobble Them Up Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- White Chocolate Baileys Cupcakes by Art of Natural Living