As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
In the summer time I don’t bake as much as I would like to. In a way it kind of stinks because I have more time to cook and bake in the summer then I do the rest of the year. The problem is that it’s so hot and since we don’t have air conditioning I don’t often want to turn on the oven. So that means I don’t do much baking.
So whenever there is a cooler day I make sure I get in the kitchen and bake something. I rarely ever have a plan but my baking pantry is well stocked so I can always find something to make. This time around I decided to make a variation of Compost Cookies.
The original Compost Cookies came from Momofuku Milk Bar. They are a basic cookie stuffed with your choice of add ins. At the Milk Bar Bakery they add in chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, graham cracker crumbs, oats, potato chips, and mini pretzels. I think the key is to add in both sweet and salty items and make sure to add in some crunch.
I’ve made Compost Cookies in the past using the original recipe but I didn’t have all of the ingredients on hand and I didn’t really want to make individual cookies. So I made Compost Cookie Bars instead. I added in chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, and sandwich cookie crumbs for sweetness, salted almond pieces for saltiness, and toffee chips for crunch.
They smelled so good as they were baking in the oven. I could smell the chocolate, butter, and sugar as they baked. I used all brown sugar instead of white and brown sugar which added a lot of flavor to these cookie bars. These bars were out of control delicious! The were sweet and salty and crunchy which was perfect for a dessert with a cup of coffee or as a snack whenever I was on the go. I’ll be making this version again!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 c. toffee chips
- 1/4 c. chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. dark chocolate chunks
- 1/4 c. chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 c. salted almonds, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the toffee chips, chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, cookies, and almonds.
- Spread the cookie dough in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the top browns.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe