This fall apples have been on sale for a great price. They come in a little 4 pound tote bag and are anywhere between 69 and 99 cents a pound. Since I love to make recipes with apples I just keep on buying them! Plus, I stick an apple in my lunch several times a week as well so most of them get used up in a week or two.
There are always a few apples left over that I just need to do something with. One week I used my Instant Pot and made applesauce. Another week I simply chopped them up and used them in a fruit salad. Then I tossed them in a salad yet another week. I was looking for a different way to use them when I dropped a bag of dried cranberries on the floor from the cupboard.
Picking them up I realized that cranberries and apples go really well together. After thinking about cookies, bread, and a few other recipes I went for Cranberry Apple Muffins. I figured if nothing else I could enjoy them for breakfast or as a midday snack. In either case I was excited for the sweet and tart combination of flavors.
I mixed up a batch and put them in the oven. They smelled really yummy and spicy and like fall. When they came out I was anxious to try them. They were very flavorful with the apples being sweet, the cranberries being a little tart, and the spices really coming through. I really enjoyed them for breakfast but they would also be good as a snack on the go.
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 T. butter
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 T. milk
- 1 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ c. dried cranberries
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, and butter.
- Add in the vanilla and milk and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine until batter is smooth.
- Fold in the cranberries and apples.
- Divide the batter between 10 muffin cups.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
Recipe adapted from 5 Dollar Dinners
It's Cranberry Week! See all the other delicious cranberry recipes being shared today (and follow #cranberryweek to see even more):
- Cranberry Apple Muffins from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cranberetto Sour from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cranberry Cornmeal Cookies from Savory Moments
- Cranberry Creme Brulee from The Redhead Baker
- Cranberry Buckle from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cranberry Margaritas from Sweet Beginnings
- Cranberry Cheese Bites from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Moscow Mule from Caroline's Cooking
- Cranberry Pecan Biscotti from The Freshman Cook
- Cranberry Syrup from Daily Dish Recipes
- Sparkling Cranberry Cocktail from Cookaholic Wife
- Vanilla Rum Cranberry Sauce from Cheese Curd In Paradise