One of my favorite Asian meals to make at home is Sweet and Sour Chicken. I love the flavors in the chicken and it's fairly easy to make. The recipe I usually make is cooked in the oven and the sauce gets really sticky and delicious. However, that recipe takes about an hour so it isn't practical on nights when I'm running around.
I recently came across a recipe that makes the Sweet and Sour Chicken in a skillet and it has less calories! It's a win-win! It was filled with chicken, pineapple, and bell peppers but I have to tell you, I really like broccoli in my sweet and sour chicken so I added some in.
The prep for this meal was easy and I actually cut up the peppers and broccoli in the morning so when I came home all I had to do was cut up the chicken and make some rice. This recipe was easy to make and the sauce was pretty tasty. I ended up adjusting a few of the ingredients to my own taste because I like a lot of sour and a little less sweet.
While the sauce was thinner then the oven sauce, I really enjoyed this version and I loved how quickly it came together. Served over top of rice with an egg roll, it's an easy and delicious weeknight meal.
- 1 large eggs
- 4 t. cornstarch
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 T. ketchup
- ⅓ c. water
- 3 T. vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 1½ c. pineapple tidbits in pineapple juice
- 2 t. ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 t. pepper
- Combine the egg and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl combine the ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and remaining cornstarch. Whisk to combine.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the bell pepper and broccoli and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the pineapple, ginger, and green onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture into a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Add the chicken. Stir fry for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is browned. Add the sweet and sour mixture to the pan.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkled with pepper and serve over rice.