Did you know that today is National Gingerbread Cookie Day? Well it is! Since there are only so many ways to make a gingerbread cookie my food blogging friends and I are celebrating by sharing all things gingerbread!
I was excited to participate because I really like gingerbread. In order to make it you really just need ginger and molasses. That’s what gives gingerbread it’s flavor. You can use ground ginger in this recipe or fresh ginger. I chose to use fresh because I had some in the refrigerator and it really shines through in these bars.
These Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are a decadent cookie bar that is perfect for serving around the holidays. The cookie is rich and dense with the sweet cream cheese frosting on top. My son was very excited about the frosting and kept coming into the kitchen and yelling for more. It’s that good!
My husband said that these are reminiscent of the Cranberry Bliss Bars but without the cranberries and he’s right. The bars are similar except these gingerbread ones have a lot more spice in them. They have a very similar cream cheese frosting but these ones are topped off with sprinkles.
A quick note on the sprinkles. I am a huge fan of sprinkles but on these bars I think simple is better. There’s so many flavors going on in the bars and with the frosting that the sprinkles really just add a quick pop of color. You don’t need them for texture or for flavor so just sprinkle a few on top.
The resulting bars were awesome. I ate two which is saying a lot. I thought they were the perfect combination of spicy ginger and cinnamon with sweet brown sugar and cream cheese frosting. These bars would be perfect for the holidays!
Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks It up! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the bars:
For the frosting:
Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks It up!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Candied Ginger-bread Snaps by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cranberry Gingerbread Upsidedown Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gingerbread Biscotti by Sweet Beginnings
- Gingerbread Bundt with Cookie Butter Frosting by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Gingerbread Donuts by The Redhead Baker
- Gingerbread Hot Cocoa by Our Good Life |
- Gingerbread Shortbread by Palatable Pastime
- Gingerbread Waffles by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pogen’s Ginger Snaps (Copycat) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories