As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I can’t believe that Thanksgiving is this week already! It seems like this month has totally flown by. Besides seeing my family, my favorite part of Thanksgiving is the food.
My mom always cooks a huge turkey dinner and there is plenty to take home for the next day…or the next three days! After a day or two of leftovers I’m more then ready to re-purpose the leftovers into something totally new.
While I love a good turkey sandwich as much as the next person, I like to totally change my leftovers into a new meal. One of my favorite things to do with mashed potatoes is a little crazy. I like to make them into cake!
Yes, you heard me right. I take leftover mashed potatoes and bake them into a delicious cake after the holidays. It makes a nice, dense cake that is lightened up with lemon juice and lemon zest.
This year I decided to not only use the leftover mashed potatoes to make a cake, but this year I went with a gluten free cake so everyone at work could enjoy my cake. The mashed potatoes actually help to keep the cake super moist and the fresh lemon juice gives it the bright lemon flavor. The glaze on top just adds to the flavor.
While this cake is delicious served with just the glaze but it is also great with fresh whipped cream on top. To spice is up a bit, add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter and also sprinkled on top of the cake. I let my husband try the cake without telling him about the secret ingredient and he loved it! He couldn’t even tell it was gluten free which is a real accomplishment. So, don’t take my word for it, give this cake a try!
For the cake:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c. almond flour
- 1/4 c. hazelnut flour (or 1/4 c. of gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 c. brown rice flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 c. mashed potatoes
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 t. salt
- zest 2 lemons
For the Lemon Drizzle:
- 4 T. gluten free powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a small bowl combine the almond, hazelnut, and brown rice flour. Add in the baking powder and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- Whisk in the mashed potatoes until smooth. Stir in the salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 1 hour on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over top of the cooled cake.
Adapted from BBC Good Food