As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
One of the first recipes I ever published on my blog was for Hummingbird Cupcakes. When I first started out I did a lot of baking and shared the recipes I created or made. The photos of those cupcakes were horrible but the recipe is still really delicious. I love the combination of bananas and pineapple with nuts in a cake. It’s moist, tropical, and delicious.
Fast forward three years and I decided to give the Hummingbird Cupcakes an update. I turned them into a delicious cake with a cream cheese frosting. The photos were better, the cake was better, and I was pretty please with it.
Fast forward three more years and here we are. When I have a recipe I like I just can’t leave it alone. I haven’t changed a whole lot to this recipe but I have added and deleted a few ingredients. I added in brown sugar and more bananas and then left out the applesauce. I also changed up the frosting to make it more of a glaze.
The resulting Bundt cake is totally delicious. It’s moist and flavorful and perfect for a party. I love how the pineapple and bananas make the cake moist while adding a ton of flavor. It pairs so well with the sweet cream cheese glaze.
I sprinkled pecans on top just like I did with the original cupcakes but I also wanted to make it prettier. I piped colored chocolate onto parchment paper in the shape of a flower and then wrapped it around an empty paper towel tube. It dried in a curve that fit perfectly on the cake!
I’m super happy with how this cake tastes and looks. I think the pictures are the best yet and so is this recipe. So what are you waiting for? I’ve been working on this one for 6 years and I’ve finally perfected it!
For the cake:
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 12 oz. crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 c. pecans, chopped
For the Glaze:
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your Bundt pan by spraying it with cooking spray and then lightly dusting with flour.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Stir the eggs, bananas, pineapple, oil, and vanilla into the flour mixture. Mix until the ingredients are just combined. Fold in half the pecans.
- Pour prepared batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and then flip the pan over and remove the cake. Cool for at least 1 hour on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze combine the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk and mix until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread the glaze over top of the cake. It will drip down the sides which is fine. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- I also made some chocolate flowers to decorate the cake which I think made the cake look really festive!
A Hezzi-D Original recipe