As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Pork and sauerkraut is one of those dishes that I really enjoy but I only end up eating once a year on New Year’s Day. I’m not sure why that is except that it’s supposed to bring good luck in the new year. I really should make it at other times during the year because both my husband and I enjoy it and it’s a big meal that lasts for several days.
I’ve always made my pork and sauerkraut in the slow cooker but more and more I’ve been using my Instant Pot. It’s just so much faster to use the Instant Pot then the slow cooker so when I went to make this dish I automatically grabbed it. I didn’t really have any idea how long to cook it so I kind of winged it.
I put the pork roast in the Instant Pot first and covered it with salt, pepper, and garlic. You can use a pork shoulder or pork loin or whatever it is you have available. I had a boneless pork roast that weighed about 3 pounds and that fit perfectly in the Instant Pot.
After that I dumped the sauerkraut over top of the pork and closed the lid. I cooked it on high pressure for 70 minutes then let it naturally release for 20 minutes. The smell when the lid came off was amazing. I love that sauerkraut smell.
When I looked into the pot there was sauerkraut on top of the pork roast but the rest of the sauerkraut had disintegrated into liquid in the pot. It made the pork really tender and gave it a great flavor but my husband and I like to see our sauerkraut. That’s why I’ve adjusted my original recipe to add another bag of sauerkraut that you put on top after you’ve made this dish.
The pork was super tender and easy to cut. I cut it into slices, poured some of the juice on top, then spooned the extra sauerkraut on top. We served the Instant Pot Pork and Sauerkraut over top of mashed potatoes which I think is the best way to serve it. You could also do it on top of rice or couscous but potatoes are top for me.
- 1 (3 pound) boneless pork roast
- 2 bags (16 oz. each) sauerkraut
- 2 t. black pepper
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. garlic powder
- Place the pork roast in the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
- Pour one bag of sauerkraut and its juices over top of the pork roast.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes.
- Let the steam naturally release for 20 minutes then manually release the rest.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining bag of sauerkraut on the stove top until heated through.
- Remove the pork from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board. Slice into half inch thick pieces and return to the pot.
- Serve the pork over top of potatoes or rice and spoon the extra sauerkraut from the stove over top.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.