Schools are starting back in the next few weeks and that means busy parents are looking for lunches and snacks to pack! Teachers here start back in 2 weeks and our students start back in just 3 weeks. I know some schools have already started back! How crazy is that?
Since I'm a teacher I'm always on the look out for fun new ideas for lunches and snacks as well. The students aren't the only ones that have to pack a lunch everyday! Did you know that Sabra sells hummus and guacamole in single packs? I saw them at my local market the other day and bought a package of each!
The Sabra hummus comes in either classic or Roasted Red Pepper and there are 6 single cups per package. There are 3 different flavors available in the Sabra Guacamole singles and there are 4 single cups per package. These singles are the perfect size for lunch boxes. I've even been packing them in a small cooler with my husband when he's on the road all day!
When I take hummus to work I usually pack it with either tortilla chips or veggies. My favorite veggies to serve with hummus are carrots, celery, or peppers. However, when I have the time I like to make a homemade chip to go with the hummus. It makes it feel just a little bit more gourmet.
This week I experimented with different types of pita chips. Homemade pita chips are so easy to make and to customize. My favorite out of all the pita chips I made this week were these Lemon Parmesan Pita Chips. They only take about 15 minutes to make and can be stored in a zip top bag for up to a week so you can make a big batch and send them to school with your child everyday for a week along with a Sabra Hummus Singles!
To make the pita chips all I had to do was cut up a few pitas, brush them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with a homemade seasoning. Then I baked them in the oven until they were golden brown and crisp. Note that whenever they come out of the oven they may still feel semi-soft. Let them cool for a few minutes and then check to see that they are crispy.
Pack the chips in a container along with a Sabra Hummus Singles and put it in your child's lunchbox for a healthy and delicious vegetarian snack or as part of their lunch. I find that hummus and pita chips is fairly filling and that I can enjoy it with a cup of yogurt or some sliced up fruit to make a complete meal.
Lemon Parmesan Pita Chips
It only takes a few minutes to make a tasty pita chip perfect for serving with Sabra Hummus Singles!
- 4 pitas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons za'atar
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Using a pizza cutter cut the pitas into 8 slices. Place the slices on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil and lemon juice. Using a pastry brush, brush the pita slices with the mixture.
- In another small bowl combine the lemon zest, garlic powder, oregano, za'atar, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well then sprinkle over top of the pitas.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Place in a zip top bag or air tight container and store for up to 1 week.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
This post is sponsored by Sabra as part of the Sabra Tastemakers program. All opinions and ideas are 100% my own.
Leave a Reply