My husband and I are not big drinkers. In the summertime we do enjoy a flute of champagne or a fun drink on a hot summer night. I usually end up using fresh fruits to make something refreshing.
I've been on a bit of a plum kick since I've been getting them so cheap at the farmer's market. I recently made a tasty Plum Ginger syrup with fresh ginger and fresh plums in a simple syrup. It's a gorgeous jeweled purple color and packs a lot of flavor. I've been using it to flavor my iced tea and lemonade but I thought it would be great in a cocktail as well.
I used the plum ginger syrup to make a plum ginger whiskey sour. All I added was a little bourbon, a little lemon juice, and a little orange juice to the plum ginger syrup then I poured it over ice and garnished it with a plum slice. It was sweet, tart, and very refreshing. As I sipped at it the ice began melting and mellowed the flavor slightly. This is a great summer cocktail for drinking out on the veranda.
For the cocktail:
- 1 ½ oz. bourbon
- 1 ½ oz. Plum Ginger Syrup (see recipe below)
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz. fresh orange juice
- fresh plum slice
- candied ginger
For the Plum Ginger Syrup:
- 4 plums, quartered
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 ½ c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- To make the Plum Ginger Syrup, Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and place in a clear jar.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Combine the bourbon, plum ginger syrup, lemon juice, and orange juice in a shaker with ice.
- Shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain over a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a plum slice and a piece of candied ginger.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective