This week the theme for #SundaySupper is Beat the Heat which is being hosted by Jen at Juanita's Cosina. It's been in the 90's here on and off for the past month and the only thing I wanted to beat the heat was a nice, cool drink. Whenever it's hot, I want something that is light, fruity, and refreshing.
Last month my little brother went to Sedona, Arizona. He took some breathtaking pictures of the sites and made me totally jealous for not being there. However he did bring me back a present. He brought me back a bottle of Prickly Pear Cactus Syrup because he knows how much I love to cook and enjoy using new ingredients. I am totally new to Prickly Pear Syrup but I instantly had a ton of ideas. My brother enjoys cooking as well so he told me he'd be happy to taste my creations.
I wasn't really sure what the flavor of the syrup would be so instead of trying to use it in a baked good right off the bat I opted for trying it out in a mixed drink first. This past week was scorching hot and I was dying for a white wine spritzer so I jazzed it up with some of this syrup.
The flavors in the spritzer were perfect for a hot summer day. The Pinot Grigio is a crisp white wine that holds the flavors of the Prickly Pear Syrup, lemons, and limes. The drink was just barely sweet and bursting with fruit flavor. The syrup also turned the drink a gorgeous pink color that looked so pretty with the lemon and lime wedges. I can't wait to make this for our next #SundaySupper with friends! I know it will be a huge hit!
Prickly Pear Wine Spritzer (an original Hezzi-D recipe)
¾ c. Pinot Grigio (or any other white wine)
½ c. seltzer water
2 T. Prickly Pear Cactus Syrup
1 t. sugar (if using a dry white wine)
1 c. ice
3 lemon slices, thinly cut
3 lime slices, thinly cut
lemon and lime wedges for garnishing
1. Pour the Pinot Grigio, seltzer water, Prickly pear syrup, and sugar in a shaker. Shake well for 1 minutes.
2. Strain the beverage into a tall glass filled with ice. Add in the thinly cut lemon and lime slices. Garnish with a lemon and lime wedge and a drizzle of the Prickly Pear Syrup.
Don't forget to check out these other #SundaySupper recipes to Beat the Heat:
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea's Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue's Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma's Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe - Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking's Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Gazpacho ~ The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny's Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Orzo Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Carribbean Salad with Grilled Shrimp ~ Mama's Blissful Bites
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom's Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi's In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Asian Veggie Lettuce Wraps ~ The Lemon Bowl
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Gluten-Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen's Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita's Cocina
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Coco-Limeade ~ What Smells So Good?
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni's Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ
This post linked to:
My that drink looks mighty refreshing! Wish I had a tall glass of it right now. 🙂
I have never tried prickly pear syrup, but now I am really curious. Thanks for sharing.
This drink is absolutely gorgeous. I am totally in love with your glasses too.
Prickly Pear syrup sounds intriguing! I'm a fan of pretty much any drink, so this would probably be a winner.
Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com
Omy that sounds so refreshing! I could drink one right now! What time are cocktails being served? lol
I have had a prickly pear margarita and I think I would like this much better (plus I'm not a margarita gal).
Where can I get the syrup? I'd love to try it!
Tammi @ Momma's Meals
Oh my! I wish I had some of this right now! I'd make it!! Great way to beat the heat!
This looks so, so refreshing. I'll bet it would be great even without the wine.
This sounds so good! Next time I'm in Arizona I will pick up some prickly pear syrup!
Oh this sounds wonderful!Perfectly delicious and refreshing in these hot summer days 🙂
Oh this pear wine spritzer looks superb! Perfect for our #SundaySupper!
Gorgeous! I adore prickly pear! Thank you so much for participating in this week's #SundaySupper!