Whenever I think of fall I think of three main foods; pumpkin, apples, and cinnamon. I guess cinnamon isn't really a food but a spice, but when I'm cooking in fall I like to use these ingredients. Since my dad visited us yesterday, I wanted to make him something special for dessert. Dinner was easy, he loves fish so I made him beer battered fish with potatoes and salad. Dessert was a little more difficult.
Then I opened my cupboard and found a jar of Musselman's Apple Butter. Have I told you how much I love apple butter? Musselman's is sharing their new Apple Butter e-recipe book that you can download with tons of fun recipes! They also wanted food bloggers to take a classic recipe and share a new spin on it with apple butter!
I had so many ideas but the one that finally won out was pumpkin roll. I love pumpkin roll in the fall. Spiced pumpkin cake with a lush and creamy filling has always been one of my favorites. This time I put a spin on the classic pumpkin roll and made an apple butter cream cheese filling! I wasn't quite sure how the pumpkin and apple butter would taste together but it was a perfect match! Sweet and spicy and filled with the taste of fall. I think I might even like this recipe better then the original.
You don't have to take my word for it! Musselman's is giving one of my readers a gift pack including a jar of their Apple Butter, a recipe card, and four decorative mini loaf pans to create their own spin on a fall recipe. Create your own or try my Pumpkin Roll with Apple Butter Filling.
Pumpkin Roll with Apple Butter Cream Cheese Filling (Pumpkin Roll recipe adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen)
¾ c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. salt
1 c. sugar
¾ c. fresh pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)
1 t. lemon juice
For the filling:
6 oz. cream cheese
4 T. butter, softened
½ c. Musselman's Apple Butter
2 c. powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15 x 10 x 2 inch jellyroll pan with waxed paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine the eggs and sugar and beat with a hand mixer on medium speed. Beat for 2 minutes or until fluffy and pale yellow. Stir in the pumpkin and lemon juice.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and beat on low speed for 30 seconds.
5. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle powdered sugar on a clean dish towel. Turn the pumpkin roll onto the clean towel. Peel off the wax paper and sprinkle the top with more powdered sugar.
7. Roll the pumpkin roll in the clean towel lengthwise. Allow to cool completely.
8. Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese, butter, and apple butter in a large bowl. Mix at high speed until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar a half cup at a time, mixing after each addition, until smooth.
9. Carefully unroll the pumpkin roll. Spread the filling all over the pumpkin roll. Re-roll without the towel. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least one hour in the refrigerator or until ready to serve.