This post is sponsored in conjunction with ChristmasSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the ChristmasSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
It’s no secret that I love to bake, especially at the holidays. I really enjoy taking classic holiday flavors and using them in my baked goods. Whenever people ask me to make something for them they are surprised when I tell them that cakes and cupcakes are my favorite to make because they are easy to make, you can add in just about any flavors you’d like, and I love to decorate them.
When I started thinking about Christmas this year I immediately thought of eggnog. Eggnog is not something that I’ve used in many of my recipes because it was never something that I had tried. While I’m still not a huge fan of actual eggnog, I do like the flavor of it. I love the subtle hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla because it really tastes like Christmas to me.
I received a bottle of LorAnn Oils Super Strength Eggnog Flavor. I love using their super strength flavorings because you only need to use half the amount you would use of any other flavoring. Plus this flavoring blends in well with all baked goods, candies, and frosting.
I whipped up a batch of my basic yellow cupcakes with Dixie Crystals sugar and added in a few spices, the eggnog flavoring, and a little bit of rum. I know that the alcohol gets baked out but I think it still adds a hint of flavor that you really need when you are having eggnog flavored anything. After they baked up I whipped up a batch of my classic buttercream frosting and added in the same spices, eggnog flavoring, and rum to it.
The resulting cupcakes were amazing. The cake was so flavorful with the cinnamon and nutmeg and just a bit of eggnog and rum. The frosting was the exact opposite and really played up the eggnog and rum flavors so the two together simply tasted like Christmas. I dusted the tops with sparkling sanding sugar and just a pinch of cinnamon. Sometimes the simplest decorations are the best!
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 c. Dixie Crystals sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. LorAnn Super Strength Eggnog Flavor
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 T. rum
- ½ c. milk
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 t. LorAnn Super Strength Eggnog Flavoring
- 1 T. rum (or milk)
- 4 c. Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and stir well.
- Stir in the eggnog flavor, vanilla, and rum and mix well.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Add in the milk and stir until combined. Add in the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting but the butter in a large bowl and mix with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, eggnog flavoring, and rum and mix well.
- Add the powdered sugar in a half cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until the frosting is the desired consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Dust with cinnamon, sanding sugar, and gold sprinkles if desired.
Puerto Rican Coquito from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Frozen Salted Caramel White Russians from Blogghetti
Gingerbread Salted Caramel Coffee Martini from Daily Dish Recipes
Hot Buttered Caramel Apple Cider Mix from Tip Garden
Salted Caramel Martini from April Golightly
Slow Cooker Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Chocolate Hazelnut Doughnuts from Kate’s Recipe Box
Cranberry Eggnog Quickbread from Jonesin’ For Taste
Cranberry Orange Bread from Juggling Act Mama
Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls from Moore or Less Cooking
Eggnog Cinnamon Roll Donuts from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies from Seduction In The Kitchen
Chocolate Espresso Mousse from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Cranberry Champagne Cupcakes from Our Good Life
Eggnog Gelato from The Redhead Baker
Festive Coconut Macaroons from For the Love of Food
Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream from Love and Confections
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Peppermint Pattie-Stuffed Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies from Platter Talk
Peppermint Red Velvet Macarons from The Crumby Kitchen
Rum Spiked Eggnog Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Salted Caramel German Chocolate Dessert Shooter from Take Two Tapas
White Christmas Cupcakes with White Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream from Family Around the Table
White Chocolate Cranberry Coffee Cake from Who Needs A Cape?