Normally when I get my Saveur magazine I flip through it and find a couple of recipes I want to try so I was pleasantly surprised when I received the October issue and found 33 recipes I couldn't wait to make! This issue had 101 classic recipes and the entire magazine was filled with nothing but recipes. There were so many different recipes I've been wanting to make, are on my 32 while 32 list, or just looked too good to pass up.
The first recipe I wanted to try was for spaghetti carbonara because for as many times as I've heard people mention it I've never tried it. I know, very surprising since I love pasta more then any other type of food. The ingredients were all very simple and it was a great meal to make on a weeknight.
My local grocery store doesn't carry pancetta so I had to go with bacon instead but the pasta still tasted incredible. The sauce is made of cheese, eggs, pasta water, and herbs. It gets thick and really sticks to the pasta. I enjoyed the bacon and pecorino Romano with the pasta it made for a nice chilly weather dish.
Spaghetti Carbonara (adapted from Saveur)
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 strips of bacon
⅔ c. white wine
1 lb. spaghetti
⅔ c. grated Pecorino Romano
⅓ c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until brown and crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate covered with paper towels.
2. Remove all but one tablespoon of bacon grease for the pan. Add the garlic to the pan with the bacon grease and cook for 1 minute. Add in the wine and cook until it has thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and reserve ¼ cup of pasta water.
4. In a medium bowl combine the Parmesan, pecorino, parsley, and eggs. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the reserved pasta water. Whisk until smooth.
5. Add the pasta and bacon to the skillet with the garlic and wine. Pour the cheese mixture over top and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.