As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Did you know that December 15th was National Cupcake Day? I just found out about it this year and unfortunately I was too wrapped up in my holiday cookie baking to make cupcakes. Now that Christmas is over I had plenty of time to bake up a batch of cupcakes.
Since I am the cupcake queen sometimes it’s hard for me to come up with new flavor combinations. I went through my cupboards and pulled out all of the ingredients I thought would be great in a cupcake. After making several groupings of flavors I decided on my favorite one.
The cupcake is a tasty spiced walnut cupcake. It’s flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts. The frosting is a buttercream frosting made with Kerrygold salted butter. I like using salted butter when I make caramel frosting because it makes it taste more like salted caramel.
The frosting is mixed with Dulce de Leche to give it a wonderful caramel flavor. The pairing of spices and caramel is just about perfect. This is a great cupcake for parties, birthdays, or any special occasion.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 c. Kerrygold unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1/3 c. flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 c. milk
For the frosting:
- 1 c. Kerrygold salted butter, softened
- 1/3 c. Dulce de Leche
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. walnuts, finally chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Add in the milk and stir until combined. Stir in the remaining flour until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with the vanilla batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile beat the butter for the frosting with a hand mixer until smooth. Add in the Dulce de Leche and mix well.
- Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until your frosting is the desired consistency. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the cupcakes with chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
I was provided with the Kerrygold products featured in this post but all opinions are 100% my own.