As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Last weekend we celebrated my godsons 13th birthday. It was a two part event with our family having lunch and hanging out at my parents house one day then a huge video game themed party with his friends the next day. Since I’m the baker in the family I made the desserts for both events. I made a fun video game cake for his big party and I made SunnyD Cupcakes for our family party in hopes that it would make the sun shine.
I was in luck because when I went home the sun was shining and it was in the low 60’s. This was the perfect weather to sit outside, enjoy the warmth, and celebrate a 13th birthday. My mom and dad were there, my godson and his mother, my brother and his wife, my great aunt, and my other cousin. We started the party with pizza because what’s a party without good food?
Then we headed out side for a little basketball, relaxing, and fun in the sun. This is when I broke out the SunnyD cupcakes. I also brought out the SunnyD 6.75oz bottles because they are the perfect size for a party. I found them on sale at Sam’s Club for just $5.38 for a 24 count package! Each SunnyD bottle is an individual serving so no one has to share and they are great for kids and adults alike.
To make the cupcakes I went simple. I used my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe but substituted a cup of SunnyD for a cup of milk. I was thinking that orange cupcakes with vanilla frosting would taste a lot like a creamsicle which would be the perfect cupcake flavor for an outdoor party. I added a drop or two of orange food coloring to make the cupcakes a little brighter orange in color but it’s not necessary.
My kitchen smelled like sugary oranges as the cupcakes were baking up. I then whipped up a batch of my vanilla buttercream frosting. Once the cupcakes were cool I had a taste of one and liked how subtle the orange flavor was. However, I wanted a quick burst of orange flavor so I added a bit of SunnyD to the frosting as well. Then I piped the frosting on the cupcakes, sprinkled them lightly with orange sprinkles, and called it a day.
The cupcakes ended up being a big hit at the party. My great aunt was halfway into hers when my mom tried to take it and just swipe off a bit of frosting and my aunt guarded that cupcake like it was a treasure! It was hilarious and proved just how much she liked them. The birthday boy took a big bite and told me he knew they would be delicious since I was the one to make them. As for myself, I thought it tasted of orange and vanilla and was very much like a creamsicle. I was happy with how they turned out and glad that my SunnyD Cupcakes brought a little extra sunshine to the party.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1 ¼ c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/3 c. flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 c. Sunny D
For the frosting:
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 3-4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons SunnyD
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs, one at a time, stirring until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the SunnyD. Add the remaining flour and mix well to combine.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl beat the butter with a mixer until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add in the vanilla and SunnyD and mix until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes with the vanilla SunnyD frosting.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
Be sure to check out more fun in the sun with SunnyD at sunnyd.com. I’d love to hear how you have fun in the sun with SunnyD!