Creamy cheeses blended together with green chilies, diced tomatoes, and evaporated milk make for a delicious homemade queso that is delicious with tortilla chips or made into nachos.
I don't know about you but one of my favorite dips is homemade queso. The creamy cheese with just a little bit of spice pairs so well with tortilla chips.
While my absolute favorite queso is the white queso served at Mexican restaurants I've tried numerous times to replicate it and I just can't get it so I'll stick with ordering it when I go out. However, this homemade queso is a great substitute.
So why am I making queso now? Because today is National Tortilla Chip Day! I thought about making actually tortilla chips but I figured a lot of people would be making those today so instead I'm sharing my recipe for The Best Homemade Queso.
For this recipe you will need:
- Pepper Jack cheese (or Monterrey Jack if you don't want a lot of spice)
- white American cheese
- cream cheese
- diced tomatoes with green chilies
- evaporated milk
- salt and pepper
To make the queso you need a saucepan big enough to hold all of the ingredients. Start by melting all three of the cheeses together in a pan over medium low heat. Once they are creamy add in the diced tomatoes.
The amount of milk you add depends on how thin you want your queso. I wanted it thin enough that it was easy to dip but thick enough that it would stick to a tortilla chip but you can do whatever works for you.
I love how fast this recipe comes together. It took maybe ten minutes to make. I actually made it ahead of time and refrigerated it. Then when it was time to serve it I heated it up in the microwave for a minute or two.
We ate about half of it with tortilla chips one night while watching sports on TV. The next day I poured it over top of the tortilla chips along with refried beans, salsa, and jalapenos, then baked it in the oven for nachos! I love when I can make one thing and serve it two different ways.
This queso is really delicious. The cheese is rich and creamy and is studded with diced tomatoes and spicy green chilies for a delicious dip that works with tortilla chips, pita chips, or even pretzels!
- 4 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. white American cheese, cut into small pieces
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c. evaporated milk
- salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan combine pepper jack cheese, American cheese, cream cheese, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Heat over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until cheese is completely melted.
- Add the evaporated milk and mix until you have the desired consistency
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking Memories
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 805mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
More recipes for National Tortilla Chip Day:
- How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips by Family Around the Table
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Cheese Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Migas | Tex-Mex Scrambled Eggs by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mango Salsa by That Recipe
- The Best Homemade Queso by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole by Making Miracles
- Tropical Salsa by Magical Ingredients
- Tortilla Crusted Baked Marinated Pork Chops by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice