This month the Creative Cookie Exchange is sharing cookie recipes with cheese! That's right, cheese! When I first heard the theme I was a little surprised. I also had absolutely no idea what I was going to make. I mean, what kind of cheese goes in a cookie?
My first thought was cream cheese but I've actually made a few cookies with cream cheese so I wanted to do something a little more challenging. After some thought I came to mascarpone cheese. It's often used in sweets so I thought it would be great with cookies.
Then I thought what dessert is most famous for using mascaprone? Tiramisu of course! I set out to make the best tiramisu cookies out there. However, I couldn't quite figure out how to put all the components into a cookie so instead I made it a sandwich cookie which is filled with delicious mascarpone cheese.
So the cookie is a basic sugar cookie made with a bit of cinnamon and rum. I actually found tiramisu mascarpone cheese so I used that with powdered sugar. It made it so easy to already have the delicious flavor in the cheese!
These cookies turned out pretty big and the sandwiches were huge. They were really good though. The cookies were buttery with a hint of cinnamon and the filling was sweet and tasted of creamy coffee. It was a great combination of flavors and would be great served with a cup of coffee or a latte.
For the cookies:
- 2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon rum
For the filling:
- 8 oz. tiramisu mascarpone cheese
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the cinnamon and rum. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on the baking sheet 3 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar flatten each ball to ½ inch thick.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until cooked. Remove from oven and transfer cookies from baking sheet to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the filling put the mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Place half of the cookies upside down on a cutting board or baking sheet.
- Place the filling in a zip top baggie. Cut off the end and pipe a tablespoon of filling on to each cookie. Top with the remaining cookies.
- Sprinkle the tops with extra cinnamon or cocoa powder if desired.
Recipe adapted fromA Spicy Perspective
Cheese makes everything better--even cookies! Sweet or savory, you can find them here!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Banana Chocolate Chip Bars by What Smells So Good?
- Black Bottom Mini Cream Cheese Brownie Cups by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cheddar Chive Shortbread by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Cream Cheese Kolachky by Oven Delights
- Geese Feet (Farmer's Cheese Cookies) by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Italian Ricotta Cookies by All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies by A Baker's House
- Pepper Jack and Green Chile Cornbread Madeleines by Live. Bake. Love
- Spiced Parmigiano Scones by Spice Roots
- Tiramisu Sandwich Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks