Even though the weather is getting warmer the nights are still cool. That means it's still perfect soup weather. One of my favorite soups is vegetable. I like mine with carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. Sometimes I add a little beef and other times I leave it vegetarian. This time I decided to get crazy. I added tortellini filled with cheese to keep it vegetarian.
I kept the base the same with vegetable broth and tomatoes. I added my favorite vegetables though next time I want to add spinach because I think it would go perfectly with the tortellini. While the broth is thin, then tortellini ends up making this a hearty soup perfect for a vegetarian meal. I like to pair it with fluffy rolls and a salad for a complete meal.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 1 t. rosemary
- 1 t. thyme
- ½ t. black pepper
- 2 cans (14 ½ oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. cheese tortellini
- Add oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium heat.
- Add in onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add in the corn, vegetable broth, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and cheese tortellini. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
Source: Taste of Home