The recipe is simply spaghetti with Pecorino Romano, fresh cracked black pepper, and a little cream. it's very simple and the sauce is fairly thin but it's a great dish. The flavor of the cheese and pepper shines through and lightly coats the pasta. The pasta and sauce took less then 20 minutes which makes for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Spaghetti with Pecorino Romano Cheese (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
6 oz. Pecorino Romano cheese, 4 ounces finely grated and 2 ounces coarsely grated
1 t. salt
2 T. fat free half and half
2 t. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. In a large pot over high heat bring 2 quarts of water and the salt to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
2. Drain the pasta into a colander with a bowl underneath to reserve the pasta water. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water into a measuring cup and discard the rest.
3. Pour one cup of the pasta water into the large pot and whisk in the finely grated Pecorino cheese. Whisk in the half and half, oil, garlic, and black pepper.
4. Add the pasta back into the pot and toss to coat. Let the pasta rest for 2 minutes then toss again.
5. Serve with coarsely grated Pecorino and fresh cracked pepper.