My dad retired last month. I still can’t believe that he is no longer working. He is incredibly active but so far he seems to be keeping busy in his retirement. The weekend after he retired we through a surprise retirement party for him.
My mom had the idea to make him 3 cakes, one for each of his hobbies. I thought that was a great idea a readily agreed. The only problem was that the cakes took a lot of time and I worked everyday the week before the party. I managed to make the carrot cake Thursday night but when I went to remove them from the pans one turned out beautifully and the other broke into pieces. I was incredibly upset and was even contemplating buying a cake mix for the next day.
Thankfully I had a 2 hour delay Friday morning so I was able to get up early and make the cake. When I got home from work I frosted it and decorated it. It turns out that the carrot cake was the favorite at my dad’s party. Everyone loved the fruit, nuts, and carrots that filled this cake. It was full of flavor and it looked pretty good too.
This week our theme for #SundaySupper is Cheese, Cake, and Cheesecake so I couldn’t wait to share this cake with the group. We were able to share cheese dishes, cakes, or cheesecake! What a wonderful combination of foods.
Carrot Cake (adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours)
For the Cake:
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. salt
2 c. grated carrots
1 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. raisins
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. butter
For the Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 10″ round cake pans and flour the insides.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a medium bowl combine the carrots, nuts, coconut, and raisins.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the sugar, butter, and oil together on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until the batter is smooth.
4. Reduce to mixed speed to low and add in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Remove the bowl from the bowl and fold in the carrots, nuts, coconut, and raisins.
5. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the cakes and unmold them.
6. Invert the cakes and remove them from the pans. Invert and cool to room temperature.
7. To make the frosting combine the cream cheese and butter together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and beat until the frosting is smooth. Beat in the vanilla.
8. To assemble the cake put one layer on a cardboard cake round. Spread frosting on top of the cake then place the second layer on top. Frost the sides and the top of the cake with the remaining frosting. Top with chopped nuts or coconut if desired.
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing our love of Cheese, Cakes AND Cheesecakes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST!