I think today’s recipe is going to blow your mind! Why? Last week we were set to have tofu for dinner but I wasn’t feeling any of the recipes we normally make. On a whim I made some crispy blackened tofu tacos and paired them with Asian slaw. I know what you are thinking; how do those two things go together? I don’t really know but they were awesome together! It was fusion cuisine at its best.
The tofu is simply rubbed with a Cajun blackened dry rub and baked in the oven until it is crispy. The slaw is made with cabbage, soy sauce, and some spices. I think perhaps it’s the spicy factor that blends these together into one delicious taco. I topped them off with cheese and sour cream and they were awesome! In fact, after trying one my husband looks at me and told me to put them on the favorites rotation because he wants to have them several times a month! I’ll take that as high praise.
This meal is perfect to share for this weeks Sunday Supper which is featuring meatless meals! Since we eat meatless at least twice a week I know I’ll be using a lot of these meals in the weeks to come!
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. paprika
- 2 t. garlic salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 t. oregano
- 2 t. cumin
- ½ t. cayenne pepper
- 3 c. cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ c. rice vinegar
- ¼ c. light soy sauce
- 1 T. sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. chile paste
- 6 soft tortilla shells
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ c. sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Press the water out of the tofu. Cut into 4 strips. Cut each strip in half and then into 4 pieces, making a total of 32 cubes.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Dip each tofu cube into the blackened seasoning, covering the cube on all sides. Place in the baking dish and cook for 40-45 minutes, flipping the tofu once during cooking.
- Meanwhile, place the sliced cabbage in a large container and set aside. In a small saucepan combine the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and chile paste. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and immediately pour over top of the cabbage. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the tacos put a few tablespoons of rice on a soft torilla shell. Place5 or 6 tofu cubes on top and then a spoonful of the Asian slaw. Sprinkle with cheese and finish with a dollop of sour cream.
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.