A few weeks ago my brother bought me two heads of black garlic. It’s not something I can get where I live and it’s something I’ve been wanting to try. It’s sweeter then traditional garlic and the first thing I thought of when I received it was tofu. I knew I couldn’t make a regular Asian dish because it just wouldn’t fit with the black garlic so I went searching for something with tofu and noodles.
I found a recipe for black pepper tofu in a black garlic sauce and started tweaking it immediately. I thought it would be great for this weeks Sunday Supper theme of A Lighter New Year and it would taste great. I took the original recipe and added some broccoli, rice noodles, and went with the black garlic sauce. The sauce is made from an entire head of black garlic. There’s no need to chop it because the black garlic turns into a paste on its own.
The tofu is tossed in black pepper sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. It’s a very simple tofu dish which is why it works so well with the black garlic sauce. Everything is then tossed with broccoli and noodles. The acidity from the rice vinegar matches up nicely with the black garlic and it all comes together with the noodles. I absolutely loved this dish and can’t wait to make it again the next time I get black garlic.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- ½ c. black pepper sauce
- 1 t. sesame oil
- 1 head of black garlic
- 1 t. ginger, minced
- ¾ c. vegetable stock
- ¼ c. low sodium soy sauce
- 3 T. rice vinegar
- 1 t. sesame oil
- 8 oz. rice noodles, cooked
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- Press the tofu to remove the excess moisture. Cut into 5 slices and then cut each slice into 4 pieces.
- In a medium bowl combine the oil, vinegar, black pepper sauce, and sesame oil. Add the tofu and toss until completely coated. Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and fry for 6-8 minutes on each side or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add half of the sauce, the cooked rice noodles, and the broccoli to the tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with additional black garlic sauce.
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement