As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
A few weeks ago my brother bought me two heads of black garlic. It’s not something I can get where I live and it’s something I’ve been wanting to try. It’s sweeter then traditional garlic and the first thing I thought of when I received it was tofu.
I knew I couldn’t make a regular Asian dish because it just wouldn’t fit with the black garlic so I went searching for something with tofu and noodles.
I found a recipe for black pepper tofu in a black garlic sauce and started tweaking it immediately. I thought it would be great for this weeks Sunday Supper theme of A Lighter New Year and it would taste great.
I took the original recipe and added some broccoli, rice noodles, and went with the black garlic sauce. The sauce is made from an entire head of black garlic. There’s no need to chop it because the black garlic turns into a paste on its own.
The tofu is tossed in black pepper sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. It’s a very simple tofu dish which is why it works so well with the black garlic sauce. Everything is then tossed with broccoli and noodles. The acidity from the rice vinegar matches up nicely with the black garlic and it all comes together with the noodles. I absolutely loved this dish and can’t wait to make it again the next time I get black garlic.
For the Tofu:
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 1/2 c. black pepper sauce
- 1 t. sesame oil
For the Black Garlic Sauce:
- 1 head of black garlic
- 1 t. ginger, minced
- 3/4 c. vegetable stock
- 1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce
- 3 T. rice vinegar
- 1 t. sesame oil
To finish the dish:
- 8 oz. rice noodles, cooked
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- Press the tofu to remove the excess moisture. Cut into 5 slices and then cut each slice into 4 pieces.
- In a medium bowl combine the oil, vinegar, black pepper sauce, and sesame oil. Add the tofu and toss until completely coated. Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and fry for 6-8 minutes on each side or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add half of the sauce, the cooked rice noodles, and the broccoli to the tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with additional black garlic sauce.
Source: adapted from Dog Eat Blog